Reapplying...Should I retake DAT... also other advice more than welcome pls help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA (sGPA 3.4, oGPA 3.55)
DAT (AA20/TS20/PAT19/Reading/any section below a 17): No
-I recieved a 20 on every section besides RC:21 and PAT:19

I ended up taking the DAT really late due to certain circumstances (Aug 31st) and my application to schools werent sent in till Late August, September, October. I ended up getting one interview but was rejected. Right now I'm questioning to see if I need to retake the DAT and am looking to apply to MPH programs to better my credentials and do something as i wait a year to reapply( also as a backup plan). Will MPH be helpful for gaining admissions also and having trouble getting dental experience besides shadowing... all offices I tried applying to and contacted require prior certification and experience. I considered becoming a DA but not sure if the time it takes to become is really worth it. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a solid chance if you apply early this cycle (apply in June). I dont think you need to retake the DAT.
What are your extracurriculars like? Shadowing?

Reactions: 1 user
@ph159
I think you have a solid chance if you apply early this cycle (apply in June). I dont think you need to retake the DAT.
What are your extracurriculars like? Shadowing?

I have over 100+ hours of shadowing mostly general, some OMFS. I've been involved in pharmaceutical research for almost a year at a medical school nearby, some little student government stuff as an undergrad, also cheer in college for 4 years, where its considered a D1 sport, which takes up a lot of my time and I think this hindered my application because I could of used my time more wisely, also some volunteer work but I plan on volunteering more before reapplying not sure what kind of work hopfully something dental related if i can find an oppurtunity

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the MPH only if you are seriously interested in pursuing a career in public health. Otherwise, it's an unnecessary cost to enhance a dental application in my opinion. From my understanding, most MPH programs also like to see a couple years of field experience prior to you applying.

Since you have an extra year, I would pursue more volunteer opportunities and re-take the DAT. Also, applying earlier next cycle and making sure other aspects of your application are polished (personal statement, letters of recommendation, etc) would help.

Thank you.. My goal is to become a dentist now no doubt, but I am not sure how I will feel say if I apply a 2nd or 3rd time and have yet to be admitted. MPH would be something I could fall back on. Also, if you are referring to cost as in $$ i'm fortunate to have free tuition at my school, so that wouldn't be a problem, just don't want to waste a year and have nothing to show from it.

@ph159

I have over 100+ hours of shadowing mostly general, some OMFS. I've been involved in pharmaceutical research for almost a year at a medical school nearby, some little student government stuff as an undergrad, also cheer in college for 4 years, where its considered a D1 sport, which takes up a lot of my time and I think this hindered my application because I could of used my time more wisely, also some volunteer work but I plan on volunteering more before reapplying not sure what kind of work hopfully something dental related if i can find an oppurtunity

I think the main set back you had last cycle was not applying early. August/Sept is fairly late. I had a 21 DAT, slightly higher everything else. I landed 10 interviews. I have plenty of friends that got in with 19AA. Definitely apply this cycle and early on. Also, apply very broadly. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Just apply on time. Enjoy your time off

Apply early! Improve your dental-related extra curriculars and shadowing and you should be good.

I agree with everyone that your stats are fine, around the average for accepted applicants but your application was late. Stay involved in dental extracurriculars like shadowing and volunteering around your neighborhood. Then come June 1, your application better be e-submitted!!