Reapplying to Schools I interviewed at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmonhead

Your ego is not your amigo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Goro @QofQuimica

Would you recommend reapplying to a school where I interviewed but was rejected?

I don't have a tremendous amount of new activities to add. Just a new publication, 2 new LORs, and <100 hours of volunteering. I start scribing next week but this particular school doesn't accept updates.

With this in mind, would you recommend reapplying to any of the schools I applied to last cycle that don't accept updates? I'm on a tight budget here and don't want to make any more secondary donations.

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend upon your getting feedback on your rejection. No one's going to come out and say "your interview sucked and you had the brain of a flea", but if you were short on volunteering, or applied late and interviewed late (when schools get pickier) then you might be in a better spot if you've remedied any deficits the interviewers saw.

If the school won't give you nay feedback, then try different schools.

Updates really don't help unless the school specifically stats "we welcome updates".

@Goro @QofQuimica

Would you recommend reapplying to a school where I interviewed but was rejected?

I don't have a tremendous amount of new activities to add. Just a new publication, 2 new LORs, and <100 hours of volunteering. I start scribing next week but this particular school doesn't accept updates.

With this in mind, would you recommend reapplying to any of the schools I applied to last cycle that don't accept updates? I'm on a tight budget here and don't want to make any more secondary donations.

Thanks
It would depend upon your getting feedback on your rejection. No one's going to come out and say "your interview sucked and you had the brain of a flea", but if you were short on volunteering, or applied late and interviewed late (when schools get pickier) then you might be in a better spot if you've remedied any deficits the interviewers saw.

If the school won't give you nay feedback, then try different schools.

Updates really don't help unless the school specifically stats "we welcome updates".

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Goro that it depends on why you were rejected. If you can get specific feedback from the school, and it is something tangible that can be fixed relatively quickly (such as accumulating more shadowing, volunteering, updated grades, etc.), then it may be worthwhile to reapply there. Otherwise, you are almost certainly better off applying to a different school rather than reapplying to this one. Unlike a pre-interview rejection, these people had a chance to meet you in person, and they likely didn't think you were a good fit for their school. Sometimes it's best to take the hint when the first guy or gal says they're "busy," and ask someone else out instead. That being said, don't get too discouraged by their rejection. Just because this one school didn't think you were a good fit for them doesn't mean you won't be a great fit somewhere else. Try to learn from any mistakes you made (such as applying late, not preparing properly for interviews, not applying strategically to a realistic list of schools, etc.), and make sure you have someone mock interview you to give you feedback on how you can come across more effectively during interviews.

Best of luck with your apps. :)

Reactions: 1 users
What about reapplying to schools that one was wait-listed at? Would your advice be any different here? I've followed the feedback that I was given by the med schools, but are there any other tips you all would suggest.

Reactions: 1 user
What about reapplying to schools that one was wait-listed at? Would your advice be any different here? I've followed the feedback that I was given by the med schools, but are there any other tips you all would suggest.

I would also like to know this. I was waitlisted at Touro-NY, ACOM, and LMU-DCOM last cycle and was banking on getting interviews there again this year.

I also agree it depends on why you were rejected. I did not get into LECOM the first time around because I applied late and the class was full and I was waitlisted. I reapplied day one of the next cycle 2 months later and got in without issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a very common story I see on SDN.

I also agree it depends on why you were rejected. I was rejected from LECOM the first time around because I applied late and the class was full and I was waitlisted. I reapplied day one of the next cycle 2 months later and got in without issue.

I also agree it depends on why you were rejected. I was rejected from LECOM the first time around because I applied late and the class was full and I was waitlisted. I reapplied day one of the next cycle 2 months later and got in without issue.

That won't happen at an Allopathic school, also getting an interview at an Allopathic school is much harder than a DO school, I applied to 10 MD schools and got only two invites, applied to 9 DO schools and was invited to every single school, only wound up attending 5 interviews and declined four of them. I actually knew someone who got into one school turned them down, then applied again the following year got in again, but applied somewhere else.

I was accepted to a school I was waitlisted at a few years in a row. I would say reapply to the WLs.

I would also reapply to any schools at which you interviewed. I received 4 late interviews last cycle and was waitlisted at all of them. This cycle I received interviews from 3 of the 4 schools where I was waitlisted and am already accepted to one of them. As others have mentioned, the fact that you were waitlisted may not have been solely your fault, rather, there may have been other factors at play (late application, unintentional bias in your interview, slightly more competitive applicant pool that year, etc.)

If you have a poor GPA but plan to enroll in a pPC and you want those grades to be used then can't you just do one massive update in December