Rearview Mirror: Oh God it's JULY!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So, does this name work

• No, you're lame

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Yeah, that dog will hunt

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SG, unless parts become cheaper between now and Christmas, the PS3 isn't going to get any cheaper. They are losing a ton of money on them already, I don't think they will lose much more. I feel the PS3 is going to be like the Dreamcast or NeoGeo, too expensive to be used by the masses.
FWIW, LCD are worse at television than CRT, simply because of ghosting. They have better contrast than some plasmas though, and they are flat, but I doubt that I will ever buy an LCD. I'm just going to save up for my plasma, right now I have a monster 34" CRT HDTV that I don't worry about anyone stealing unless they bring a ton of friends. I don't want to move it either.

I read somewhere like on cnn.com or something that the manufacturing process is going to get much cheaper for the PS3 sometime after the summer. I wouldn't say it's going to be as bad as NeoGeo and Dreamcast because plenty of people are paying the cost now to have one. It doesn't have the same numbers of units sold as the 360 because it's been out a year less and the must have games haven't come out yet. I'm not a huge supporter of Sony, but since a good friend of mine has one and having seen the best the PS3 has to offer compared to the 360, I'm not ready to say it's going to die. I'd say PS3 will close the gap once it gets cheaper, but it'd have to happen within a reasonable time. Halo 3 is going to make it tough for the PS3 to catch up, so those must have games for the PS3 better live up to expectations starting in June with things like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. With that, this may be the last generation of console video game systems I'm going to have (unless I have kids that want them down the road), so I may end up with a PS3, a 360, and a Wii to share with the fiancée. :)

I'm still trying to decide between an LCD and plasma myself really. Plasmas do display fast moving video like sports better and have much better contrast ratios, but the cheaper ones that I can afford may suffer from burn-in from the video games, while a cheap LCD won't. Whatever I go with only needs to last me 2-3 years before it ends up in the bedroom to replace the CRT that will be there. It is funny though that the most expensive and best LCD's or plasmas can only say they are near CRT quality.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall I'm happy with all the ED months we have. I'm a little scared to be starting on something like ortho (was hoping for a ED month), but I'll survive.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the ortho rotation for us does not involve us seeing floor patients, mostly seeing patients in the ED. I remember seeing the EM resident on ortho in urgent care (or whatever they call it, I forgot) part of the ED many many times during a shift.

I stand corrected, this is what Ali Raja said about the ortho rotation for us in a previous post:

"We went through a transition a few years ago. My class really didn't like the morning rounds, the scut of discharging (and dictating) people you barely knew and had never operated on, and the endless social work nightmare of continuity of care forms that we would never have to deal with again and so about halfway through the year one of my classmates worked out an alternative.

It changed to a month long night-float system whereby we take night call with the ortho R2 as interns and just take overnight floor calls and get to cover all the ED stuff that rolls in from 7P-7A. It worked out well for ortho since their R2 didn't have to answer floor pages and thus got to sleep more and it worked out great for us since we didn't have to do all the daytime bs noted above and, most importantly, got to be the first ones to evaluate all the stuff downstairs. It might be worth a shot to suggest this at places where you still do useless daytime stuff since it has worked out really well here."

That doesn't sound too bad, but does that mean having to work nights the whole month???

Ok, off to pack one box so I'm not accused to being a complete slacker.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere like on cnn.com or something that the manufacturing process is going to get much cheaper for the PS3 sometime after the summer. I wouldn't say it's going to be as bad as NeoGeo and Dreamcast because plenty of people are paying the cost now to have one. It doesn't have the same numbers of units sold as the 360 because it's been out a year less and the must have games haven't come out yet. I'm not a huge supporter of Sony, but since a good friend of mine has one and having seen the best the PS3 has to offer compared to the 360, I'm not ready to say it's going to die. I'd say PS3 will close the gap once it gets cheaper, but it'd have to happen within a reasonable time. Halo 3 is going to make it tough for the PS3 to catch up, so those must have games for the PS3 better live up to expectations starting in June with things like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. With that, this may be the last generation of console video game systems I'm going to have (unless I have kids that want them down the road), so I may end up with a PS3, a 360, and a Wii to share with the fiancée. :)

I'm still trying to decide between an LCD and plasma myself really. Plasmas do display fast moving video like sports better and have much better contrast ratios, but the cheaper ones that I can afford may suffer from burn-in from the video games, while a cheap LCD won't. Whatever I go with only needs to last me 2-3 years before it ends up in the bedroom to replace the CRT that will be there. It is funny though that the most expensive and best LCD's or plasmas can only say they are near CRT quality.

SG...you and I are going to get along very well, especially with the gaming we plan to do. :laugh: Anyways, I looked at the Vizio's and I gotta say I haven't seen anything that compares in price. I looked up some reviews, and they were pretty positive also. I guess I'm in the plasma vs lcd camp also. I want something that will look great, but not be damaged by my gaming. I dunno...still a lot of research left to do.

I stand corrected, this is what Ali Raja said about the ortho rotation for us in a previous post:

"We went through a transition a few years ago. My class really didn't like the morning rounds, the scut of discharging (and dictating) people you barely knew and had never operated on, and the endless social work nightmare of continuity of care forms that we would never have to deal with again and so about halfway through the year one of my classmates worked out an alternative.

It changed to a month long night-float system whereby we take night call with the ortho R2 as interns and just take overnight floor calls and get to cover all the ED stuff that rolls in from 7P-7A. It worked out well for ortho since their R2 didn't have to answer floor pages and thus got to sleep more and it worked out great for us since we didn't have to do all the daytime bs noted above and, most importantly, got to be the first ones to evaluate all the stuff downstairs. It might be worth a shot to suggest this at places where you still do useless daytime stuff since it has worked out really well here."

That doesn't sound too bad, but does that mean having to work nights the whole month???

Ok, off to pack one box so I'm not accused to being a complete slacker.

I reread this when I found out I was starting with ortho. I think it's a great set up, but I'd like to find out more about the schedule, cuz a month of night float is going to be rough (especially since it's August and the weather should be great). Plus, I'll miss out on a lot of the socializing that will go on with my fellow class.

WOOOHOOO! Just got my first rotation schedule - I knew I had family med in July, but the e-mail confirmed that there's no night or weekend call *does happy dance*

WOOOHOOO! Just got my first rotation schedule - I knew I had family med in July, but the e-mail confirmed that there's no night or weekend call *does happy dance*

Family med is after surgery for me. I'll need it.

Iron Chef always makes me hungry. Tonight's episode: Battle Rib Eye

Diets always make me hungry. Probably because it's all I think about though.

Went to the zoo today, then got home and mom wanted to go for a walk. Of course I couldn't turn her down because she needs to walk (currently osteopenic). I guess the extra walking didn't hurt me too much.

Graduation weekend begins tonight with our booze...errr....boat cruise. Then we have two classmates getting married tomorrow. I have 12 family members coming in tomorrow, should be interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduation weekend begins tonight with our booze...errr....boat cruise. Then we have two classmates getting married tomorrow. I have 12 family members coming in tomorrow, should be interesting.

Congrats and hope all gets drunk and merry...or at least goes well. :p

Congrats and hope all gets drunk and merry...or at least goes well. :p

There will be plenty of drinking tonight, tomorrow, and then on monday (actual graduation day). Fetus...did you know our graduation was on monday this year b/c of a venue change? Kinda lame to have it on a monday morning. But at this point in time, I just wanna move on with life. Drink up me hearties! :thumbup: (shameless Pirates 3 plug).

anyone catch lebron last night? that was rediculous!

int med -> surgery -> peds (in the winter) -> OB... i'm screwed! :eek:

Ouch. What did the fat man say about always hurting you more??

By the way, I didn't realize you were an '09er. Good to know.

int med -> surgery -> peds (in the winter) -> OB... i'm screwed! :eek:

Sounds similar to me.

After my two month introductory vacation (family, then neuro), I do:

peds -> surg-> short Christmas break -> IM

Ouch. What did the fat man say about always hurting you more??

By the way, I didn't realize you were an '09er. Good to know.

Ya, we should make a list, like the '08ers.

iatrosb
SoCute
hyperbaric?
who else?

The '08ers...but I'm thinking by the other posts maybe the '09ers????
iatrosb
SoCute
hyperbaric?

The '10ers
HIANMI

who else? (we can try a running list)

The '08ers...but I'm thinking by the other posts maybe the '09ers????
iatrosb
SoCute
hyperbaric?

The '10ers
HIANMI

no, we're '09ers. It might be hard to rally us this time of year though (boards :scared:)

good night +pad+ working at home can be rough sometimes

good night +pad+ ...working at home can be rough sometimes (at least when you are around the whole family) :rolleyes: I can't wait til I can go back and visit my home and my bf next weekend!

the '09ers:
iatrosb
SoCute
hyperbaric?
stoic

The '10ers
HIANMI

I think I should start studying ATLS today. Even though I have nothing to do, I'm still having trouble getting motivated.

This better be the last damn tropical system that affects my life. Living in Florida gets tiring after a while because of the damn storms. :mad: We should have left after Hurricane Andrew destroyed our Miami home...

The only good thing is we needed the rain because we were going through a bad drought.

This better be the last damn tropical system that affects my life. Living in Florida gets tiring after a while because of the damn storms. :mad: We should have left after Hurricane Andrew destroyed our Miami home...

The only good thing is we needed the rain because we were going through a bad drought.

Now, you just have to worry about twisters, which give no warning.

Now, you just have to worry about twisters, which give no warning.

haha...so true!! You get used to the tornado watches every night, but never know when it's actually going to hit.

I'll deal with tornadoes, we get our fair share here. There is so much less of a chance that your own home will get destroyed because they affect such a smaller area. Knowing that a storm is coming has it headaches too, anyone whose had to prepare for a hurricane by boarding your windows 4 times in a season just to have the storm turn away and not even leave rain by your house knows, not to mention the panic that the local news stations perpetuate, the packed grocery stores and gas stations are a pain in the ass too; it is better to have some warning though.

the packed grocery stores and gas stations are a pain in the ass too; it is better to have some warning though.
Try living here when they forecast snow. You couldn't get bread or milk if you had WIC and it were an emergency.

Got a bunch of parts for my landcruiser. I love working on this thing. I feel much better about the stress I get from that rather than other things. ;)

Try living here when they forecast snow. You couldn't get bread or milk if you had WIC and it were an emergency.

The bread and milk - a distinctly southern affectation. There was a cashier in the Publix from Boston, and we were talking about how different things are in the north with bad weather - beer, ice cream, and toilet paper is what moves. The bread and milk - huh?

Oh ya, if you don't get salt, shovels, or scrapers before the season, it is hard to find them in any store (even our walmarts sold out)..

Got a bunch of parts for my landcruiser. I love working on this thing. I feel much better about the stress I get from that rather than other things. ;)

Not trying to one-up your or anything, but since I haven't had a damn thing to do this last week, I have replaced the exhaust, put a CAI on, installed a mesh grille under the stock one, and change out where the third brake light is installed.
All I need now are tires. And some more money.

Holy crap! I graduate and become a REAL doctor in 10 hours! :eek:

Oh ya, and for those taking boards...I found out from some friends of mine that if the electricity goes out in the middle of the exam, don't freak out, everything is saved and you will continue where you left off when the electricity comes back on. Yes, it did happen to them, and I would have definitely needed a change of clothes if I were in their shoes and didn't know that much. Oh, and good luck!

Congrats Will. It is a nice feeling.

Congrats Will! Should be a fun day for you.
McNinja, I was trying to install a new muffler today (the old one had several large holes). It is proving more difficult than I first thought. :mad: It's so frustrating because I can see how to do it in my head, but I still can't get it into the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.