Rec Letters: Should I have them write it now for next year's cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycleruminate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a class last spring semester (under grad psych course) afterwards asked the professor if he would write a letter of recommendation for me.

I decided that I would not apply (experimental psych PHD programs) this fall for various reasons, but I intend to apply next cycle (fall 2009).

Should I update the professor?

He was only my professor for one class, but he liked me and said my presentation was "professional research quality" for one assignment. I just don't know if I should have him write the letter now and save it for when I apply, or if its customary for students at ask a year later and just refresh the professor with how he did in his class and what not...

My school is very big and difficult to establish relationships...my other two rec letters are going to be a PI from a neuro lab and a PHD student (signed off by PI) from a social psych lab that I was a research assistant for. My courses at this school have all mostly been huge hundreds of people lectures so this is really the only professor I actually interacted with/was evaluated up close.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely get it now while you are fresh in their minds, who knows how well they'll remember you in a year. One thing I really regret is not getting an LOR from a freshman Calc professor but now it's way too late haha.

I'm sure the professor won't give you that letter of recommendation. Most professors won't. Also when schools request for letters of recommendation, they ask for the professors to submit it online, and fill out a survey. The best thing you should do is actually check in with that professor, and ask him to give you advice on certain things, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure the professor won't give you that letter of recommendation. Most professors won't. Also when schools request for letters of recommendation, they ask for the professors to submit it online, and fill out a survey. The best thing you should do is actually check in with that professor, and ask him to give you advice on certain things, etc.

Huh? Why on earth would he not write a letter?

If you have a premedical committee, they may be able to keep the letter and upload it for you when you decide to apply.

Maybe have him do it through interfolio, and then send it to whatever committee needs it in a year. Or just ask him to write it now and put it into a sealed envelope with his signature and the date. Then give it back to him right before you need him to write it for real and have him submit the same thing. He will probably appreciate you not putting him in the position of having to remember you years later.

Huh? Why on earth would he not write a letter?

If you have a premedical committee, they may be able to keep the letter and upload it for you when you decide to apply.

You should definitely have the professor write the letter now while you're still fresh in his mind, and if you have a premed committee they can keep it until you apply.

Hey, thanks for the responses...

It isn't for med school, it is for PHD programs in experimental psych.

I told him I was going to apply this fall, but I am postponing that until next fall.

The interfolio suggestion is intriguing. I will have to look into that. He is actually in another country (I had him in London when I was studying abroad), so doing this online would be simplest.

Fortunately, he gave grades/feedback via email, so I have those for him to refresh his memory.

I guess one reason I was hesitant to have him write a letter in advance is because I wanted him to know what kind of lab I was applying to. However, I am still debating that, (hence postponing my application for another year), so I guess I don't have that luxury.