Received love letters/phone calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And no one has called me yet telling me how much they love me. :mad:

Me too! Then again, I didn't go interview at the mentioned places that did.

Members don't see this ad.

adding Albany and Pitt:

Albany - Phone call, email
(2) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) UChicago-letter
Johns Hopkins-cards, letter
(x3) Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis: Email
Michigan email

Adding to Cincy, Emory, U of Chi

(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x3) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x4) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL
(x3) Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis - email
Michigan - email

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding OSU, UConn, Drexel

(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x3) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x3) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis - email
Michigan - email
Drexel - handwritten note from PD
OSU - letter a couple days ago

Adding to OSU, UConn, Drexel

(x3) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x3) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis - email
Michigan - email

(x4) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x3) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis - email
Michigan - email

BIDMC - phone call
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters)
(x4) Duke-letter
(x5) Emory - letter
Fresno-XMas card
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call, email
Indiana - 2 phone calls, email
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter
Mayo-letter
(x2) MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email
Palmetto - email
(x3) Pitt- phone call
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL
(x3) UConn-email
UC-Davis - email
(x2) UT-Houston - email
VCU - letter with handwritten note

Will someone please explain to me the point of this thread and how it will benefit anyone? If you really want to go to a place but don't rank it number one because joe schmo said he got a flash drive and a nudie pic from the PD and you didn't get one then you are an idiot.

Will someone please explain to me the point of this thread and how it will benefit anyone? If you really want to go to a place but don't rank it number one because joe schmo said he got a flash drive and a nudie pic from the PD and you didn't get one then you are an idiot.

Thanks for the comic relief; been laying around with vomiting and diarrhea all night and day. ROTFL

Haha I agree with Cuedoc - I don't think we should use this as a ranking guide. However, I think this thread is more out of curiosity and in some ways to allay our nervousness about the upcoming Match. On this same note, when you guys email PDs expressing interest what sort of responses have you been getting?

so these love notes.. do they actually mention that they intend to rank u high? try to recruit and sell the program..?
or are they just thank you notes..?

Is if everyone else got a letter/call and you didnt - it means your ass is not ranked by the program

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: All I'm getting from Cinci right now is silence. After finally getting a hold of someone for a second look, I was told I'd be called back today...hasn't happened yet.

Got a call from Dr. Gibler today (yeah he stayed up to 10:15pm to call me on PST ! Yeah baby, feelilng good. Finally (interviewed on 1/19) got my thank you letter from Andra with some nice words. Great way to leave the states for my 2 months in Africa! Bring it on match day!

Is if everyone else got a letter/call and you didnt - it means your ass is not ranked by the program

The one way for sure you wont match at some place is to not rank them. If you have some complex about having to match at your number 1 then that is your own problem. If you liked a place you should rank it number 1 regardless of what a bunch of people on some internet forum or (anyone else for that matter) says.

I personally think this thread is for sado/masochistic obsessive compulsives personalities to add further stress and anxiety to the match process for themselves and others. Posting Interview offers/rejections is one thing because it is actually useful information. But this is brutal.

I personally think this thread is for sado/masochistic obsessive compulsives personalities to add further stress and anxiety to the match process for themselves and others. Posting Interview offers/rejections is one thing because it is actually useful information. But this is brutal.

I'm starting to agree and I'm not going to post anything else on this thread. Just because a person gets a call or a letter doesn't mean they won't end up matching at that program anyways. None of this information should play a part in how a person will rank their programs.

If a program is a person's #1 and they didn't get a letter or a phone call, they should still rank it #1 if it was indeed their favorite place!

The one way for sure you wont match at some place is to not rank them. If you have some complex about having to match at your number 1 then that is your own problem. If you liked a place you should rank it number 1 regardless of what a bunch of people on some internet forum or (anyone else for that matter) says.

As a faculty member, I think this is beyond obsessive-compulsive. It almost seems like the tone of these gets worse every year. It goes in cycles, from the pointless "best programs" thread, to the interview offers, then to the "did the program director dot her Is with little hearts" thread.

Here's an eye opener: most of what programs do is calculated. If you get cards, letters, phone calls, it's planned that way. Most others are probably getting them. You're probably not that special.

Sorry.

But then again, almost all of you will match and probably end up happy.

mike

As a faculty member, I think this is beyond obsessive-compulsive. It almost seems like the tone of these gets worse every year. It goes in cycles, from the pointless "best programs" thread, to the interview offers, then to the "did the program director dot her Is with little hearts" thread.

Here's an eye opener: most of what programs do is calculated. If you get cards, letters, phone calls, it's planned that way. Most others are probably getting them. You're probably not that special.

Sorry.

But then again, almost all of you will match and probably end up happy.

mike

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My Momma says:

You can't hurry love,
You just have to wait,
Love don't come easy,
It's a game of give and take . . .

Call it what you may and say what you may. If there are those of us who choose to be "OC" about this process then so be it! I don't think anyone should be scrutinized for wanting to share their good news! Yes, we will all match, and no, no one should use this info as a tool to lower their ranking of a program. But free will is great so if you choose not to participate - don't read it! Thanks!
With that said, got a phone call from Indy yesterday and an email from Christ today! I'm floating and I don't care who hates it....!

BIDMC - phone call
(x4) Duke-letter
(x5) Emory - letter
Fresno-XMas card
Georgetown - letter
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email
Mayo-letter
(x2) MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email
Palmetto - email
(x3) Pitt- phone call
(x3) UConn-email
UC-Davis - email
(x2) UT-Houston - email
Advocate Christ - email

I will say that I dont recall this last yr.. thats not to say we werent crazy but these guys..... :D

Call it what you may and say what you may. If there are those of us who choose to be "OC" about this process then so be it! I don't think anyone should be scrutinized for wanting to share their good news! Yes, we will all match, and no, no one should use this info as a tool to lower their ranking of a program. But free will is great so if you choose not to participate - don't read it! Thanks!
With that said, got a phone call from Indy yesterday and an email from Christ today! I'm floating and I don't care who hates it....!

BIDMC - phone call
(x4) Duke-letter
(x5) Emory - letter
Fresno-XMas card
Georgetown - letter
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email
Mayo-letter
(x2) MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email
Palmetto - email
(x3) Pitt- phone call
(x3) UConn-email
UC-Davis - email
(x2) UT-Houston - email
Advocate Christ - email

Something tells me that someone is missing the point here. :laugh:

This is disrespectful to the Programs and other Applicants.

How about we have the Programs display Applicant names who sent love letters to their programs, and find out that some are sending the same "I'm going to rank you highly" letter to 9 programs.

Something tells me that someone is missing the point here. :laugh:

Actually, no. No point missed. I remember when interview season had just began and everyone was posting their interview invites and most of mine had not come in yet. I would get sad because it seemed like everyone else was bragging when I had nothing. Then I realized I didn't HAVE to read those posts. Let alone, I didn't even have to go to this website. This post is definitely similar to that IMO because some people are hearing things and others are not. But no one is forcing anyone to read about the "extra love" some of us are receiving. Yes, I understand what everyone is saying about it not mattering and it's just a game by the PDs and that we play the same game by sending programs thank you's (which I never did). I also understand that we are not the only ones in the country receiving these "extras." But that doesn't take away the good feeling you get when you receive these "extras" and I don't think we that have been so lucky should be admonished for talking about it. So I WILL continue to post as my perks come in. Thanks!

P.S. Step 1, how in the world is it in any way disrespectful to a program when THEY'RE the ones that provided said "extras?" As long as they're not violating ERAS, there shouldn't be any question about what's being said about their programs and therefore no one should feel disrespected. Can't see your POV at all.

Actually, no. No point missed. I remember when interview season had just began and everyone was posting their interview invites and most of mine had not come in yet. I would get sad because it seemed like everyone else was bragging when I had nothing. Then I realized I didn't HAVE to read those posts. Let alone, I didn't even have to go to this website. This post is definitely similar to that IMO because some people are hearing things and others are not. But no one is forcing anyone to read about the "extra love" some of us are receiving. Yes, I understand what everyone is saying about it not mattering and it's just a game by the PDs and that we play the same game by sending programs thank you's (which I never did). I also understand that we are not the only ones in the country receiving these "extras." But that doesn't take away the good feeling you get when you receive these "extras" and I don't think we that have been so lucky should be admonished for talking about it. So I WILL continue to post as my perks come in. Thanks!

P.S. Step 1, how in the world is it in any way disrespectful to a program when THEY'RE the ones that provided said "extras?" As long as they're not violating ERAS, there shouldn't be any question about what's being said about their programs and therefore no one should feel disrespected. Can't see your POV at all.

You do whatever you want...I'm certainly not telling you to not post anything. I'm one of the lucky ones and happy with the offers I've gotten during the year and I too have been recieving emails, etc from PD's but I choose not to post about them all. Why? Because, unfortunately, there are others who haven't been as lucky as I in the process and it just adds to the anxiety that already exists. I personally think it's lame...and yes I agree that people can choose to not read it. Maybe I'm just having an issue with trying to figure out how you can feel so great about getting an email, call, letter, when the other 100+ are likely recieving them as well. You and I are no more special than the other applicant recieving them. And even though this is an internet board and no one is forcing anyone to read this thread, there's something to be said about class and respect. I think some of the posts are just getting out of hand on this thread. But that's my opinion. ;)

Well, go ahead and use this as a forum to post things if it makes you feel that good. I've gotten plenty of "love," including calls, but so what. It's not affecting my rank order list, it doesn't even make me more confident I will even match at that program. I've stopped posting my "perks" because I think its narcissistic, and because others feel that way. The match can be an emotional subject for some, so I won't add to any anxiety it could promote.

OK you got me... Ill add mine

Albany - Phone call, email, dozen roses
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x5) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket

Im so excited that you could knock me over with a feather... Oh and by the way I just want to let everyone know that I recently won the lottery and got engaged to a supermodel

(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
MGH/BWH-phone call

Im so excited that you could knock me over with a feather... Oh and by the way I just want to let everyone know that I recently won the lottery and got engaged to a supermodel

:laugh:

Actually, no. No point missed. I remember when interview season had just began and everyone was posting their interview invites and most of mine had not come in yet. I would get sad because it seemed like everyone else was bragging when I had nothing. Then I realized I didn't HAVE to read those posts. Let alone, I didn't even have to go to this website. This post is definitely similar to that IMO because some people are hearing things and others are not. But no one is forcing anyone to read about the "extra love" some of us are receiving. Yes, I understand what everyone is saying about it not mattering and it's just a game by the PDs and that we play the same game by sending programs thank you's (which I never did). I also understand that we are not the only ones in the country receiving these "extras." But that doesn't take away the good feeling you get when you receive these "extras" and I don't think we that have been so lucky should be admonished for talking about it. So I WILL continue to post as my perks come in. Thanks!I]

A little insecure?

You do whatever you want...I'm certainly not telling you to not post anything. I'm one of the lucky ones and happy with the offers I've gotten during the year and I too have been recieving emails, etc from PD's but I choose not to post about them all. Why? Because, unfortunately, there are others who haven't been as lucky as I in the process and it just adds to the anxiety that already exists. I personally think it's lame...and yes I agree that people can choose to not read it. Maybe I'm just having an issue with trying to figure out how you can feel so great about getting an email, call, letter, when the other 100+ are likely recieving them as well. You and I are no more special than the other applicant recieving them. And even though this is an internet board and no one is forcing anyone to read this thread, there's something to be said about class and respect. I think some of the posts are just getting out of hand on this thread. But that's my opinion. ;)

Very poetic Jeremy. Very poetic.

Adding 1 phone call, 2 emails today
MGH/BWH-phone call
Mom-email (#3) asking if I know where I'll be
Philip-some guy email inviting me to a lifestyle change
Spouse-phone call, promises I'm #1

Those of you who critizize and ridicule this thread because you are "morally superior" should probably stop wasting your time posting on it. If people want to post which programs have contacted them, let them do it in peace. Just go back to saving the world with your infinite wisdom and impeccable character.

Those of you who critizize and ridicule this thread because you are "morally superior" should probably stop wasting your time posting on it. If people want to post which programs have contacted them, let them do it in peace. Just go back to saving the world with your infinite wisdom and impeccable character.

No one is forcing you to read any of these posts. If you coudln't tell, that seems to be the underlying thought of many on this thread. :thumbup:

No one is forcing you to read any of these posts. If you coudln't tell, that seems to be the underlying thought of many on this thread. :thumbup:

Thank you for your input; however, I am familiar with the concept of free will. But if you think about it, I and other people who are actually interested in this thread do have to wade through all the asinine posts (such as our current discussion) to find actual information. As such, I am now closing this exchange; please do not reply to this unless you are desperate for more attention.

Finally this thread is getting a bit interesting. So boring to read about calls and stupid little notes, that I agree, probably mean next to nothing and should definitely not change your rank list. I'm having a hard time not stirring the pot just for ****s and giggles.

Geez, I also like how this thread got lurkers to start posting.

Geez, I also like how this thread got lurkers to start posting.

No joke. They just lurk around reading all the stuff we post, never making their own contributions, then bitch about what we post. Gotta love it.

No joke. They just lurk around reading all the stuff we post, never making their own contributions, then bitch about what we post. Gotta love it.

True dat...no one said that everyone needs to agree on every aspect of life, either. Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether you agree or not. :thumbup:

hey TKim, you're a fan of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs?

Not a formal member of the Church of the Subgenius, but I do use their modified pain scale. I stick a tobacco pipe in the patient and assess the level of droop. A body's in pain when they can't clamp down on a pipe.

I can't even take this statement from you seriously. No one bitched but you bitches! LOL. We were happy posting everything we wanted to post and those of you with your superiority complexes decided to degrade all of those who still chose to contribute to this post. And please don't believe just because I have only a few posts under this name that I am some lurker. Wow, everyone IS entitled to their own opinions, I just wish more of you would keep them to yourselves.

Wow, everyone IS entitled to their own opinions, I just wish more of you would keep them to yourselves.

What on earth is the point of a forum if everyone keeps their opinions to themselves?:rolleyes:

Constant petty whiny ass comments, and no acknoeledgement of this ingenius post

MGH/BWH-phone call

It's about time. Finally some love. Letter from Geisinger today (personalized no less).

Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip