Recent comments from Journal Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our most recent journal club was about wounds, closure, and cleanliness/sterility. We did articles on hair-apposition with glue for head lacs, sterile vs clean gloves for lac closure, and tap-water irrigation.

Some of the comments that flew:
"My pain is a sailboat on the stars-to-circles scale."
"If we had to wait for nursing in our ED to set up for sutures, most wounds would close from secondary intention."
"Why don't we just spit in all the wounds, so the IgA could do its work?"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using clean gloves, not sterile, for most of my wound closures.

Sterile gloves in most cases are a waste of time and resources. I've read more than one article which supports this.

edinOH said:
I'm using clean gloves, not sterile, for most of my wound closures.

Sterile gloves in most cases are a waste of time and resources. I've read more than one article which supports this.

Article (below) supporting this.

-------------------------------
Sterile compared with clean gloves for wound repair
This study looked at infection rates and complications after closure of wounds using sterile or clean non-sterile gloves. The trial enrolled 816 people and demonstrated low infection rates in both groups with no statistically significant difference found. The use of clean, non-sterile gloves could save time and money, especially as many A&E departments move towards a latex free environment.

Perelman VS, Francis GJ, Rutledge T, et al. Sterile versus non-sterile gloves for repair of uncomplicated lacerations in the emergency department: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Emerg Med 2004;43:362–70.[CrossRef][Medline]
---------------------------------

Wook