Recent medical school grad - Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathinterpreter

Learning to seek the way.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an IMG and I decided to do research instead of applying for Internal Medicine this year. I want to be a cardiologist. Here are my credentials:
Step 1: 93/224 (1st attempt)
2CK: 92/222 (1st attempt)
2CS: Passed (1st attempt)
USCE: 5 months externship
LORs: 3
The only research I've get is Pathology.. They really want to teach me but, will this be of benefit to me? What research would be good for me???? I have no experience in this field, what complicates everything. Please help.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any research publication(s) you could get may help, but honestly cardiology research would help a lot more. If it's the only job you've been able to get, and they seen interested in teaching you, and it's in a US hospital I'd say take the job and make the most of it. If you can do something related to cardiac or vascular pathology, all the better, but if not, so be it.

The best thing you can do to help a future application for cardiolog fellowship is to get into the best IM residency that you can get into, preferably one that has an associated cardiology fellowship.