Recent MSW grad -- Where are the pre LCSW jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a clinical MSW program last May. It is now February, and despite applying to all the jobs in my area (major metropolitan city), I have been unable to get a job. I am looking for a pre-LCSW counseling position where I can get my supervision hours to earn licensure. I have had a few interviews, but eventually they all say that I don't have enough experience (despite 2 clinical internships). It seems like no one wants to hire or supervise unlicensed MSWs. Is anyone else out there having similar difficulty finding these positions?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear you - times are tight and tough for those of us earning our hours toward licensure. I am not going for the LCSW - I am going for the LPC - and the pickings were slim.

My choices were:
Residential treatment facility with troubled male teens
Criminal justice working with male and female offenders
Community Service Board - emergency on call position
In home - therapeutic intensive services
and so on...

I chose to go the route of paying for my own supervision - and biding my time while I earn my 4000 hours for licensure. It is expensive - but deeply satisfying to be doing the work I love in a small practice with a clinical supervisor and an administrative supervisor - like I said "small."

I would network network network - join whatever local associations support LCSWs and attend all their events. Tell everyone you know - even the most unlikely people - that you are looking for a job. Volunteer in exchange for free supervision if that counts for the LCSW - it may not. for the LPC some states allow that and some don't.

Hang in there,

Vasa Lisa

Are you applying to everything, or just those positions that offer supervision? The reality is that there are fewer and fewer positions that offer supervision, and as the commenter above said, you might want to consider finding a job and then paying for supervision.

Maybe now is a good time to make yourself more marketable via continuing ed. While I can understand an organization stating a new grad doesn't have enough experience, a new grad with a certificate in XXXXX specialty is more appealing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk