Recent VA decision and the future of anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsarainbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

What are your thoughts on VA decision that is allowing for CRNA independent practice? What will be the future of this specialty? Part of me believes that it won't matter as much. NP and PA can practice independently in many states yet the demand for primary care physicians increases yearly. Worst comes to worst and we have national wide ACT model implementation which I don't mind in all honestly.

Another question I have is that I read a study done by HRSA that there will be a 10k surplus of CRNA by 2025. How will this impact us if at all? There are no rules or regulations to stop new CRNA schools from popping up and honestly the lifestyle is too good for a lot of nurses to not aim for this field. This saturation will worsen in the future (look at whats happening in pharm schools and NP programs). Do you guys see salaries decreasing in the near future?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• crna-fact-sheet (1).pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
You may not like the ACT model when you’re covering 8:1 or more, have no idea what is going on in most of the rooms and run all day signing charts and maybe placing blocks. But probably no blocks, you’re needed to sign charts elsewhere.
Being a firefighter is interesting and challenging work, as long as you’re not liable for all of the fires.

i can definitely see anesthesiology going down in the long run simply because of the economics of it. are anesthesiologists better trained? yes by far. however we have been moving more and more towards for profit corporate medicine and i believe in the future, most of the countries care will be part of a LARGE health systems whos main goal is to maximize profits and less so about patient care. then it's very possible for anesthesiologists to just be firefighters to reduce lawsuits while CRNA does most of the regular work.

if you think about some examples. most cases would likely go fine intraop if patients glucose was 400, or sodium 120, or doing case shortly after a cardiac stent. their post op recovery will probably be worse with more infections and complications. by then after the case is over, the company wouldve made their money, and for profit companies would consider it a job well done regardless of what happens 30 days later. so as health systems get more and more profit driven, why would they pay extra for anesthesiologists to provide better care?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine as a whole is screwed

1594053745056.png

You may not like the ACT model when you’re covering 8:1 or more, have no idea what is going on in most of the rooms and run all day signing charts and maybe placing blocks. But probably no blocks, you’re needed to sign charts elsewhere.
Being a firefighter is interesting and challenging work, as long as you’re not liable for all of the fires.
So you expect to be able to drink coffee in the break room all day, get paid for it, and not even be liable? Nice work if you can get it....

So you expect to be able to drink coffee in the break room all day, get paid for it, and not even be liable? Nice work if you can get it....

None of us mind being responsible for things and people that we can actually control. I don’t mean just on paper. In reality.

Reactions: 1 user
None of us mind being responsible for things and people that we can actually control. I don’t mean just on paper. In reality.
For better or worse our job in an ACT model is to exist for purposes of state law, insurance rules, and as liability shields. That is why we are hired. You can supervise to every definition of TEFRA or you can watch TV and drink coffee in the break room. Those who sign your paychecks simply do not care....

Reactions: 2 users