Recently applied to SGU, Ross, and AUC...apps don't ask for hours volunteered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of the three school's applications, only St. George's had a spot for listing the amount of hours I volunteered.

Ross and AUC just asked for the time period (month/year) that i volunteered at each respective place that i volunteered at.

Am i missing something? Are they waiting for the interviews to ask me how much time i devoted to volunteeering?

It just seems that such a big deal is made about the amount of hours that everyone volunteers. So i am quite confused why these school's applications didn't even ask me how many hours i volunteered.

Members don't see this ad.

no. volunteering isn't as importent as grades.. shocker i know.. but most schools would much rather take someone who volunteered less but studeid more. thousands of hours of volunteering can't make up for a poor gpa or a poor mcat score. It's always been that way. if volunteering was that important then they would make it a pre-requisite. So they don't even care, if you want to include the millions of hours you spent volunteering you can include that in the personal statement. but in all honesty no one cares.

Volunteering is a way to discriminate between two equal candidates. It is nothing by itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
True.

Another question: On my personal statement for St. George's, should i just write about why i think medicine is right for me, what qualities i have that will make me a good physician, etc? ....But if i do this, won't it just be the same thing as AUC's personal statement?

i sent the same personal statement to all the schools. it's silly to write different ones for every school. i got accepted into all of them. the only one that didn't even bother emailing me or calling or writting was MUA... i was very surprised about that...

Oh nice.

I just got done the apps and basically used my AUC essay for SGU. SGU allows us to use more words than AUC, so i pretty much just expanded every thing on my AUC essay and sent that in as my SGU essay.