Recommended mortgage companies for DC area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas90

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

We'll be moving there soon, and are actively looking for houses. We are using the USAA buyer's advantage program for a broker - has anyone used USAA for mortgages? How about SunTrust or PenFed? We'll probably get a quote from BoA through their physician's mortgage program. Any other recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Thomas90 said:
Hey everyone-

We'll be moving there soon, and are actively looking for houses. We are using the USAA buyer's advantage program for a broker - has anyone used USAA for mortgages? How about SunTrust or PenFed? We'll probably get a quote from BoA through their physician's mortgage program. Any other recommendations?

Have used USAA with great success. Any of the big ones are OK, look for a good rate.

We are living in DC; we are members of USAA but got a significantly better mortgage offer from SunTrust (a little over a year ago). Shop around and tell folks you are looking at multiple companies.

I have USAA for just about everything and love them. However, they use PHH as their mortgage company and I had two horrible experiences with them. The first was when I originally bought my house and I thought all of the pain was because I was buying my first house and new to the system. Then the following year when I refinanced, a simple process almost turned into a disaster. It was only by the hard-work of the title company did my refinance happen. The weird thing is, that so many people that I have talked to also related bad experiences with them (of course, all after I had been through this).

The bottom line for me is that USAA is awesome for everything else- insurance, personal loans, banking, investments, credit cards, etc. But avoid PHH if at all possible.

I will be buying a new house next year when I move to a new city and I will be using Wells Fargo most likely (unless USAA has gotten a new mortage company).