Recruiting agencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmSCC99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever worked as a pharmacist through recruiting agencies such as execu-search group, tact, genard group? How was your experience and has it helped you in your career? Any recruiting agency that is good? thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Their goal isn't to place you. They just want to place anyone from a large stack of resumes they have in file.

agree^. They have their own interest in mind. The client (your potential employer) pays them a certain percentage of the position's base salary if they successfully place a candidate, so for staff pharmacist or manager/supervisor/DOP positions, this represents a significant commission for them. I have had numerous bad experiences with headhunters for being misleading in their descriptions (hospital was actually 70miles farther than advertised, staff positions advertised as clinical or decentralized positions, advertised salary range was 15K over the actual) and lying in order to pressure me into taking a bad offer/ position. Don't expect them to be 100% forthcoming with you.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with using them per se, especially if you're in a "tight" geographic job market, because I know several hospitals in my area that prefer to use recruiting agencies rather than posting them themselves on their job pages (even for permanent positions), meaning applying to a job ad without knowing the exact hospital may actually alert you of opportunities you wouldn't have known of otherwise.

As long as you go into it knowing that a) there is no commitment until you sign an offer letter and b) you have to do what's best for yourself at the end of the day, you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah basically 1) expect that they are like used car salesman, at the minimum they will lie by omission in their details of the job (and some of them will completely lie about what the job entails then claim ignorance if you call them on it and 2) most employers don't want to go through recruiting agencies because of the additional costs involved, which means the ones who do, usually do so because they can't find anyone to work for them. If its a specialize position, its understandable, a recruiting agency is often nationwide so they would have more contacts for specialized positions. If its a regular type of pharmacy job or even a regular pharmacy management job, there is a good chance that there is something really wrong with the workplace (very low salary, psychotic co-workers, business is on the verge of closing, etc.)

Oh wow, because I don't have hospital experience and been wanting to find my way into hospital But didn't know if recruiting agencies will be helpful in this But don't want to be wasting my time with them if It's not helpful. I just want to figure out the chances of being placed from someone w experience w them. The way they tell me is as if don't worry theres lots of people w less experience as you and were placed But I felt i want other opinions.

I personally think the best way to make the transition from retail to hospital IF you're in an area where they "only" hire if you have hospital experience or are residency-trained, is through a personal referral from a friend who is already a pharmacist at the hospital. Have them tell you when someone is about to leave/ retire, and then put in a good word with the pharmacy supervisor/manager/director for you.

I personally think the best way to make the transition from retail to hospital IF you're in an area where they "only" hire if you have hospital experience or are residency-trained, is through a personal referral from a friend who is already a pharmacist at the hospital. Have them tell you when someone is about to leave/ retire, and then put in a good word with the pharmacy supervisor/manager/director for you.
Yea I know a few people that got in that way But that was a pharmacy interns. But not a lot. The thing is most of my friends are in retail so I guess so little luck for me.

The staffing agencies are like used car salesman. They want to place their candidates and will do whatever it takes including lie, both to the clients and the candidates. They serve a useful purpose though and sometimes deliver great candidates that you end up hiring.

Then you have the executive search firms. Most VP level jobs and above are filled through these agencies if they are looking for external candidates. These jobs are often not posted and you are not just going to apply online for them. These head hunters will find you on LinkedIn if you meet their criteria and they are usually pretty decent and fair to deal with.

Reactions: 1 user
Staffing agencies are a good resource, but I would recommend using your professional contacts and friends. It is fairly difficult to get an in to a new setting as an external candidate. There are many completed applications for one position.