Red eye flights??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know I am an attention ***** about making my own threads and such.

Two interview invites came for me today, both Saturdays only, both during rotations that I can't really plan to miss anymore days of at this time at least.... both cross country.... what do people think of flying on a red eye after working a full day and then interviewing the next day?

If I really have no choice, I guess there isn't a better way. Maybe some type of pill to sleep on the plane? However, I don't want to look like a druggie for an anesthesia interview especially :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I know I am an attention ***** about making my own threads and such.

Two interview invites came for me today, both Saturdays only, both during rotations that I can't really plan to miss anymore days of at this time at least.... both cross country.... what do people think of flying on a red eye after working a full day and then interviewing the next day?

If I really have no choice, I guess there isn't a better way. Maybe some type of pill to sleep on the plane? However, I don't want to look like a druggie for an anesthesia interview especially :)

You might as well get used to functioning on inadequate sleep - you'll have to as an intern. Explain your situation to the interviewers, and they can't question your interest in the field or their program.

You might as well get used to functioning on inadequate sleep - you'll have to as an intern. Explain your situation to the interviewers, and they can't question your interest in the field or their program.

:thumbup:

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't advise catching a red eye. Can't you at least get the afternoon off, and take an evening flight?

If that red eye cancels, you miss the interview. There's not a later flight to catch. I tried to squeeze in a few late flights with my interviews, and on one occasion I missed the dinner the evening before because of weather delays. Every one, from the coordinator to the PD, asked me why I wasn't at the dinner.

I liked the program, ranked it high, but didn't match. I'll never know if that factored into the outcome, but my advice is to play it safe. What could they possibly do during your fourth year rotaion if you ask to take an afternoon off to catch an interview?

I agree.

But, flying from the west coast to the east coast even leaving at noon from a rotation pretty much involves missing the dinner. Unless I shell out big bucks then I might make it...

So far, this only pertains to one anesthesia program with only TWO interview dates so yeah I don't have much choice.... I'll just get there as soon as I can I guess. And for prelims this is obviously not a big deal since I doubt they have dinners.

I was told by my Dean that missing > 2 days of a 2 week rotation would be stretching things but I am gonna have to try :)

I agree.

But, flying from the west coast to the east coast even leaving at noon from a rotation pretty much involves missing the dinner. Unless I shell out big bucks then I might make it...

So far, this only pertains to one anesthesia program with only TWO interview dates so yeah I don't have much choice.... I'll just get there as soon as I can I guess. And for prelims this is obviously not a big deal since I doubt they have dinners.

I was told by my Dean that missing > 2 days of a 2 week rotation would be stretching things but I am gonna have to try :)

I agree that you may have to miss a dinner. It happens, and most programs understand. I would only suggest that you give yourself more of a cushion to arrive to the interview in time, by booking the flight for the evening before. If your evening flight is delayed/cancelled, you can make the red eye. If your red eye is delayed/cancelled, you miss the interview.

Our Dean told us the same, but in the end it is up to the discretion of your rotation team. Your dean doesn't have to find out how many days you missed.

Any chance of arranging a trade off with your rotation supervisor? ie. They let you miss the Friday and you agree to work the Sunday? Flying back home East coast to West on Saturday after your interview has the time change working in your advantage so you should be able to get some sleep Sat night before working the Sunday.