Red Journal Submission Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderer123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of submitting a manuscript and wanted to get peoples thoughts. How long did it take to get reviews back? What kind of success rates have you had with submissions? There is an e-pub only option - is it a bad idea to choose that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Recently, the usual response time is 4-8 weeks if it goes out for reviews. In terms of success, there has been a significant tightening of acceptances over the past 18 months or so since Dr. Zietman took over; i dont know what the acceptance rates are now but its not impossible but tougher than it was before. In terms of e-pub, opinions vary but my thought is that it gets a full citation on pub med with the epub and you're done with it quicker so i have used it.

I was under the impression that the epub only was to be a temporary fix to the back log of accepted papers. Will this be a permanent option of the Red J ?

Recently, the usual response time is 4-8 weeks if it goes out for reviews. In terms of success, there has been a significant tightening of acceptances over the past 18 months or so since Dr. Zietman took over; i dont know what the acceptance rates are now but its not impossible but tougher than it was before. In terms of e-pub, opinions vary but my thought is that it gets a full citation on pub med with the epub and you're done with it quicker so i have used it.

I'm on the editorial board for the Red Journal and can try to give some insight. Previously, the backlog was significant resulting in slower responses for acceptance and long times to print publication. E-publication was implemented as a mechanism to get quicker publication and listing in PubMed and lessen the backlog. However, e-published articles are only available online.

Fortunately the backlog has lessened so this system may be less necessary or even phased out.

The editorial staff have also raised the bar on the quality of submissions. Acceptance rates have declined from 40+% to 20-25%. Over time that will translate into a higher impact factor. Whether it's accepted for print publication or electronic publication, the standards are the same - high.

Now authors should receive a decision on submitted manuscripts in ~1 month, so if it's not accepted you should be able to resubmit swiftly. If it had been that painless a wait when I was submitting, I might still be in academics!

Dr. Zietman will be at ARRO's Saturday session at ASTRO's annual meeting. Save your tough questions for him, he'll be great about answering them all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the editorial board for the Red Journal and can try to give some insight.

Thanks for that information! Any insight on PRO? Red Journal swiftly rejected a manuscript of mine, then we submitted to PRO about 2.5 months ago with no response. I'm wondering if PRO is generally being held to the same rapid turnaround standards.

Thanks for that information! Any insight on PRO? Red Journal swiftly rejected a manuscript of mine, then we submitted to PRO about 2.5 months ago with no response. I'm wondering if PRO is generally being held to the same rapid turnaround standards.

Good question, Neuronix. I'm volunteering only for Red Journal but can find out. Stay tuned.
Matt