Reddit FIU "Mafia Admin" Thread - How Valid Do You Think It Is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's recently been a Name and Shame thread regarding FIU on the med school subreddit, and there are some serious stuff on it:

If there are any FIU students here on SDN, what are your thoughts? Is the admin really as horrible as they say? I'm assuming some stuff are exaggerated, but the general consensus among redditors who are familiar with the school seems to be that they really are that bad.

I was thinking about maybe applying to the school depending on how my MCAT turns out, but it sounds like a school you shouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole...

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
If you’re a Florida resident, probably apply. If not, save the cash since chances weren’t the best as an OOS applicant and the secondary is likely not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok apparently somebody interviewed there and met a Dean Adrian Jones. That person’s page is no longer on FIU’s website and I confirmed this myself.

Others have added in about the school aside from the whole mafia thing:

I’d just skip applying and either use the money on a different school or save it.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's recently been a Name and Shame thread regarding FIU on the med school subreddit, and there are some serious stuff on it:

If there are any FIU students here on SDN, what are your thoughts? Is the admin really as horrible as they say? I'm assuming some stuff are exaggerated, but the general consensus among redditors who are familiar with the school seems to be that they really are that bad.

I was thinking about maybe applying to the school depending on how my MCAT turns out, but it sounds like a school you shouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole...

It's reddit. Otherwise known as the Cesspool of the internet.

When you see a massive screed like this, the first thing in your mind is that this is a person with an agenda because they were dismissed.

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Isn’t it a state school and thus must abide by statues that give students more protection? For example, it is well known that state universities are required to give students due process in disciplinary hearings whereas private schools do not have to grant students any constitutional protections.

If you’re a Florida resident, probably apply. If not, save the cash since chances weren’t the best as an OOS applicant and the secondary is likely not worth it.
True but florida applications are only 30. That’s why I applied to all of them despite being OOS. Not too bad to get 4 secondaries for the price of 1

When you see a massive screed like this, the first thing in your mind is that this is a person with an agenda because they were dismissed.

Lol as if malignant administrations don’t have agendas…

omg, you just reminded of that SDN post a few years ago when a student was looking for advice on being dismissed a few weeks before graduation for "missing rotation shifts" or something... turns out he was forging signatures to get out early.

But I don't think this FIU situation is that one-sided... A LOT of students seem to be agreeing with the post about the ridiculousness.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
To every story there are two sides… the side is presented to you is one side, but it’s not invalid just take it for what it is

True but florida applications are only 30. That’s why I applied to all of them despite being OOS. Not too bad to get 4 secondaries for the price of 1
Well you have to add in the extra 45 or so for AMCAS transmission. You can count on your hands how many OOS students FSU accepts in each year and while UF has more, it’s pretty bad chances. You are better off treating yourself and a friend to a nice meal or giving yourself a little less stress about the credit card bill.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no skin in the game, but having a fiancé with type 1 diabetes it made me sick how they were questioning that student. I don’t care what that student did beforehand, but the way they were questioning the timing of the low blood sugar, what they ate, requiring a doctors note for a low blood sugar. So ignorant and hateful.

Also at my school you get like 3 professionalism write ups before it even goes in the deans letter- let alone even thinking about dismissal that sounds terrible,

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically clueless
Cool, really bolstering the worth of secondary applications. Always happy to see adcoms assist in the admissions process losing integrity.

I posted this in the school specific thread for FIU 2021-2022;
Here's the survey for the graduating class of 2019. It's pretty dark. What's funny is I keep seeing the word mafia thrown around in there too.

I wish I had the surveys for the graduating classes of 2020 and 2021 as well to see if there's been any improvements.

Attachments

• GraduationQuestionnaire2019.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 462
  • Wow
I posted this in the school specific thread for FIU 2021-2022;
Here's the survey for the graduating class of 2019. It's pretty dark. What's funny is I keep seeing the word mafia thrown around in there too.

I wish I had the surveys for the graduating classes of 2020 and 2021 as well to see if there's been any improvements
Wow. I mentioned in another thread that as an FIU undergrad alum that my time at FIU was a nightmare from advisors, administrators, professors, and deans. I fought every semester with financial aid and admissions office for mistakes THEY made which caused my aid to be rescinded only to be reinstated once they said "oh our mistake!". What if I had never followed up or hounded these offices for weeks to get my problem resolved? The Pre-Health office was renown for causing many medical students to leave crying or being outright clueless on the process. I recall two semesters of countless phone calls, emails, and eventually finding their schedule to speak to them after a class just because they "accidentally" input n F for a course that I received an A in. Entire classes were failed by adjunct professors who promised that the class would be graded on a curve (in which C- and Ds were considered high scores for examinations) only to go back on their promise and fail every student, retire the following year, and go AWOL. I can go on.

The saddest part is that my undergrad institution seems to have allowed these problems to reach their medical school instead of correcting and remediating them.