Redick's DWI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So JJ Redick gets pulled over and charged with a DWI. His alcohol level was a "whopping" 0.11 and the officer

"... noted Redick had "very glassy eyes, strong odor of alcohol coming from breath."

What a bunch of bulls**t. I mean, I don't know the guy and don't give a rat's ass about college basketball, but you mean a BAL of 0.11 causes very glassy eyes and a strong odor? Come on. A law is a law, so I understand he gets charged, but I don't believe for one minute the embellishing notes from the cop.

Leave it to the media to make it front page news and vilify a public figure. U.S. media is a joke.

Members don't see this ad.

are you kidding me? He's America's favorite white boy. If he got charged with something, he's probably guilty.

bulgethetwine said:
So JJ Redick gets pulled over and charged with a DWI. His alcohol level was a "whopping" 0.11 and the officer

"... noted Redick had "very glassy eyes, strong odor of alcohol coming from breath."

What a bunch of bulls**t. I mean, I don't know the guy and don't give a rat's ass about college basketball, but you mean a BAL of 0.11 causes very glassy eyes and a strong odor? Come on. A law is a law, so I understand he gets charged, but I don't believe for one minute the embellishing notes from the cop.

Leave it to the media to make it front page news and vilify a public figure. U.S. media is a joke.

It depends on habitutation. We joke about "amateurs" in the department who are pretty mcuh comatose at .15 and "professionals" who are awake and making some sense at .35. I've personally treated an airman with a BAT of .009 and the woman he managed to kill.

Quite possible an amateur would be as described at .11. I agree however that many cops dress up their reports. In any case he was aparently driving and above the limit. . .so . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past, I volunteered on occasion for the local police department during training sessions and certification on the breathalyzer. They would buy me snack foods and any alcohol I preferred (within reason). Based on my body weight, and the desired BAC, they would measure out a certain quantity of alcohol for me to drink over a a few hours. They would give me field sobriety tests and then have the breathalyzer. Our goal was to try to fool the cadets/trainees. So, we also had controls in the group that either just smelled like alcohol, or had only one or two drinks. They tried to hold mine just a bit above the legal limit (.10 at the time). I have to say, at .14, I was pretty smashed. The officers always told me that I was the perfect drunk...the perfect one to arrest. I never had a chance: Nystagmus, couldn't fool them on the line walk despite knowing what they were looking for, etc. Many of the officers were incredibly accurate in guessing my BAC.

I realized, that even at .05, I would not have driven. I lost any sympathy I may have had (which, admittedly was almost zero) for people that drove above the legal limit.

I did enjoyed the free booze and having a patrol car drop me off at a local pub afterward... (The Chief put an end to this of course.... :confused: )

I've seen a guy (5'9", 160 lbs) vomit after three beers on more than one occasion. Not because he's allergic to alcohol, but because he was dead drunk. Three beers on a guy his size is about 0.11, so hey, Reddick might have been obliterated.

My friend after:
1 beer - Tipsy, a little silly
2 beers - Loud mouthed, obnoxious
3 beers - Passed out, lying-in-own-vomit drunk

Weird, huh? Never seen any other guy like that.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I've seen a guy (5'9", 160 lbs) vomit after three beers on more than one occasion. Not because he's allergic to alcohol, but because he was dead drunk. Three beers on a guy his size is about 0.11, so hey, Reddick might have been obliterated.

My friend after:

the above works well for me if I plug in the following conversion equation: (2 long islands)/1beer

i had a buddy with one of those breathalyzers from sharper image that we experimented with a great deal. interestingly a swill of water within a minute or two of blowing dropped the BAL by about .03-.04 too bad reddick didn't have any water. duke is puke!

Ceez said:
are you kidding me? He's America's favorite white boy. If he got charged with something, he's probably guilty.

America's favorite white boy? Not since Christian Lattner has a college b-ball player been as hated as JJ and he's probably hated more than Lattner to be honest.

As far as his BAC and glassy-eyed look, who knows if the cop got it right or not. JJ has a reputation around here for drinking and smoking marijuana, so I would think he could hold his own a little better than that (but again, who knows?).

SanDiegoSOD said:

My friend after:

crazy

Cop was a Carolina fan?

Ahhh...a po-po after my own heart :)

bulgethetwine said:

His appearance is irrelevant. Driving with a 0.11 BAC is illegal in any state.

I just hope I don't wake up hungover tomorrow.

had a "Guys' Night Out" with all the male residents in our program. Chili's has a great happy hour!

Q

OSUdoc08 said:
His appearance is irrelevant. Driving with a 0.11 BAC is illegal in any state.

You twit, you missed the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
bulgethetwine said:

Most people whom I met who were in custody charged with OUI/DUI/DWI and had a BAL around that ball park generally DID have "red and watery eyes" and "a strong odor of alcoholic beverage" emanating from their breath. After dealing with 1/2 dozen OUIs you start to discern this more readily. By the time have dealt with double and even triple that number of people who are OUI you generally see this VERY readily.

However, a good defense attorney will pick apart the statement that he had "...a strong odor of alcohol coming from breath", as pure alcohol is odorless.

Bottom line, is that with enough experience you DO readily discern "red and watery eyes" and detect the odor of "alcoholic beverage" readily enough.

Wook

a_ditchdoc said:
In the past, I volunteered on occasion for the local police department during training sessions and certification on the breathalyzer. They would buy me snack foods and any alcohol I preferred (within reason). Based on my body weight, and the desired BAC, they would measure out a certain quantity of alcohol for me to drink over a a few hours. They would give me field sobriety tests and then have the breathalyzer. Our goal was to try to fool the cadets/trainees. So, we also had controls in the group that either just smelled like alcohol, or had only one or two drinks. They tried to hold mine just a bit above the legal limit (.10 at the time). I have to say, at .14, I was pretty smashed. The officers always told me that I was the perfect drunk...the perfect one to arrest. I never had a chance: Nystagmus, couldn't fool them on the line walk despite knowing what they were looking for, etc. Many of the officers were incredibly accurate in guessing my BAC.

I realized, that even at .05, I would not have driven. I lost any sympathy I may have had (which, admittedly was almost zero) for people that drove above the legal limit.

I did enjoyed the free booze and having a patrol car drop me off at a local pub afterward... (The Chief put an end to this of course.... :confused: )

I had a very similar experience at a local EM conference. The police started the conference by introducing me and 2 other volunteers to the audience and more importantly the bartenders. We were allowed whatever we wanted on their tab and were encouraged to get as intoxicated as we liked. They then did a field sobriety exam and breathalizer on each of us in front of the audience after every hour long presentation. After a dissapointing performance on hour one I switched from beer to GM on the rocks in order to be a good volunteer :p At the end of the conference my companions were being helped up to the stage (don't recall what they were drinking but they blew .12 and .18 respectively. Yours truly passed the field sobriety with flying colors with the exception of "mild horizontal gaze nystagmus noted".
I blew .23 This keep in mind was also during my sophmore year of college and I had done a bit of training so to speak. A week after the conference one of the SP officers who ran the demonstation was in the ED while I was working and he made it a point to pull me aside and warn me to be carefull as I have little warning from my body untill I am well over the legal limit. Really made me think about whether I can drive or not when I feel "fine to drive" and now I don't drive at all if I have more then one beer. Just not worth it.

wook said:
Most people whom I met who were in custody charged with OUI/DUI/DWI and had a BAL around that ball park generally DID have "red and watery eyes" and "a strong odor of alcoholic beverage" emanating from their breath. After dealing with 1/2 dozen OUIs you start to discern this more readily. By the time have dealt with double and even triple that number of people who are OUI you generally see this VERY readily.

However, a good defense attorney will pick apart the statement that he had "...a strong odor of alcohol coming from breath", as pure alcohol is odorless.

Bottom line, is that with enough experience you DO readily discern "red and watery eyes" and detect the odor of "alcoholic beverage" readily enough.

Wook

police officers will embelish the report to justify stopping u and giving u the sobriety test. simple as that. lets call it for what it is and not beat around the bush.

MedicinePowder said:
police officers will embelish the report to justify stopping u and giving u the sobriety test. simple as that. lets call it for what it is and not beat around the bush.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I never felt the need to "make up" facts to obtain reasonable suspicion to stop a motor vehicle, and would not see a need to. There are more drunk drivers on the road than an officer can arrest on a shift.

Wook

JJ pushed off with his free arm as he made the U-turn. But this time, for the first time ever, the authorities called the foul.

Ha! Dook sucks!

bulgethetwine said:

When I was a soph, I blew .24 on a breathalyzer in this bar, and I could walk a straight line, engage in a normal conversation with my sober designated driver friend (his opinion), etc. I definitely was feeling the alcohol and would never have driven in that condition, but I probably have a good ability to prevent the staggering slurring drunkeness seen in others? Or maybe the breathalyzer was inaccurate. Hmm.

leviathan said:
When I was a soph, I blew .24 on a breathalyzer in this bar, and I could walk a straight line, engage in a normal conversation with my sober designated driver friend (his opinion), etc. I definitely was feeling the alcohol and would never have driven in that condition, but I probably have a good ability to prevent the staggering slurring drunkeness seen in others? Or maybe the breathalyzer was inaccurate. Hmm.

No I think it's called tolerance :D

I'm sure you've all experienced this, but it never ceases to amaze me when we get BACs from alcoholics in the ER. Guys going through life, going to work, having a family, etc., with BACs of over 0.3, all the time. Unfrigginbelievable.

a_ditchdoc said:
I never had a chance: Nystagmus, couldn't fool them on the line walk despite knowing what they were looking for, etc.

I remember doing a field sobriety test in driver's ed. I failed it sober. I couldn't walk straight because I had an injury at the time, and the nystagmus was seen for some reason. I have found that to show I better not drive at all after drinking when they could detect alcohol, I'd definitely lose. :eek: