Redo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsukoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sister is in enrolled in DO program. The school at first gave her acceptance for the year 2013, but then changed it to 2012. I'm assuming something happened but someone must have dropped out allowing her on the list.

She has been there one semester, and she apparently failed a course by one point. They told her she had to repeat the whole year over.

Does this happen in all DO schools? I was just wondering if it's something they do just in DO schools than MD schools, because I always assumed she could redo just that one class and not the whole year.

Also, is it possible for her to transfer to a school that has an MD program? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't happen at all schools. Did they give her the option of remediation (retake the final for the class, and if it is passed, get a 70% in the course)? I've heard of retaking the class (5th year plan), but not the entire year.

I'd be surprised if she was accepted for a transfer after failing a class, and usually transfers are done after completing basic science and passing the USMLE step 1.

My sister is in enrolled in DO program. The school at first gave her acceptance for the year 2013, but then changed it to 2012. I'm assuming something happened but someone must have dropped out allowing her on the list.

She has been there one semester, and she apparently failed a course by one point. They told her she had to repeat the whole year over.

Does this happen in all DO schools? I was just wondering if it's something they do just in DO schools than MD schools, because I always assumed she could redo just that one class and not the whole year.

Also, is it possible for her to transfer to a school that has an MD program? Thank you.

This is commonly called the "5 year" program at DMU. The criteria for such a program must not be set in stone as it takes the failing of two courses for someone to be forced into the program. The failing of one program allows the student to retake that class at another time.

The transfer topic has been discussed over and over again. I think you find a lot of help by typing this into the search button. As far as my own experience and knowledge on this issue I have learned that possible transfers come down to 1)Prior acceptance to the program you wish to transfer to 2) A great reason for needing to transfer and 3) Support from both programs (transferring from and to).

Generally if you fail just one course they allow you to remediate it, generally by retaking an exam in a certain period of time (a week or two).

I haven't ever heard of a med school saying you have to repeat the entire year for failing just one course one time.

As for transferring, you generally have to be in good standing and that means no failing grades currently on your record. Without a remediation, her chances even smaller than normal and those aren't good at all. I agree with Jamers assessment above regarding transfers.