References for First Job Out of Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeptic85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed the contract for my first job out of residency (ophtho). They are requesting references for the credentialing process.

I have not disclosed my job offer to any faculty in my program yet because my PD is pressuring me to stay on as faculty and won’t be happy. Of course I will have to disclose it eventually but was hoping to wait a bit.

Do you know if they actually reach out to references if the contract has been finalized/signed or do they request them as a formality? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I just signed the contract for my first job out of residency (ophtho). They are requesting references for the credentialing process.

I have not disclosed my job offer to any faculty in my program yet because my PD is pressuring me to stay on as faculty and won’t be happy. Of course I will have to disclose it eventually but was hoping to wait a bit.

Do you know if they actually reach out to references if the contract has been finalized/signed or do they request them as a formality? Thank you!
Your job will 100% reach out to your references. They aren't going to scrutinize their response, but will ensure that it says something like "Skeptic85 is a hard worker, a competent doctor and as far as I know never murdered anyone."

You will need to tell your PD eventually. If you think it's going to be a massive issue for them to be a reference for you (unlikely), you can always list other faculty/the APD/etc if needed. Just ask people if they are comfortable being listed as a reference before you do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Your job will 100% reach out to your references. They aren't going to scrutinize their response, but will ensure that it says something like "Skeptic85 is a hard worker, a competent doctor and as far as I know never murdered anyone."

You will need to tell your PD eventually. If you think it's going to be a massive issue for them to be a reference for you (unlikely), you can always list other faculty/the APD/etc if needed. Just ask people if they are comfortable being listed as a reference before you do so.

I think if the APD gets asked to be a reference, the topic of OP’s new job may come up in casual conversation and the PD is going to find out sooner than later - and may cause more hurt feelings than if OP just shared the news. If you have a good relationship with your PD I’d just bite the bullet and let him or her know that you’re so flattered to be asked to stay, but couldn’t pass up this other job.

I think if the APD gets asked to be a reference, the topic of OP’s new job may come up in casual conversation and the PD is going to find out sooner than later - and may cause more hurt feelings than if OP just shared the news. If you have a good relationship with your PD I’d just bite the bullet and let him or her know that you’re so flattered to be asked to stay, but couldn’t pass up this other job.
Totally agree. The point I was trying to make was that they need to tell the PD regardless, but if they thought that using the PD as a reference afterwards would be problematic, there are other choices. If I wasn't clear, I wholeheartedly agree: tell your PD first. Then sort out your refs.

Typically, as part of the credentialling process, they will send something to your references basically having them certify that you are a good doctor. I filled out a bunch of paperwork for my baby chiefs while they were getting credentialed leading up to chief year.

So yeah, you’re gonna need to let your PD know at some point or they’ll hear about it through the grapevine

Usually they ask for references before they extend you an offer. But yes, they’ll absolutely reach out to your references. It’s mostly standard due diligence stuff, occasionally they’ll ask very specific questions. You should def tell your program director and ask them if you can list them on as a reference.

I had faculty I trusted not to blabber to the PD be my references because I had the same paranoid thoughts (that's not to say I wasnt correct) and told my PD and APD shortly after my mid-year review. They seemed to understand so I mightve been excessively paranoid, but who knows. I also told the job I took up front about the situation and they seemed to understand and be on board.

They will also query your program abut your training, to ensure that you completed training and that there were no issues. So there is no way to leave your PD / program out of the loop.

They will also query your program abut your training, to ensure that you completed training and that there were no issues. So there is no way to leave your PD / program out of the loop.
I was waiting for someone to bring up that credentialing process would definitely involve the program and therefore the pd would find out.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet your PD is not as invested in you staying as you think they are.

I'm sure you're great and your current program would love you to stay. But in the real world (i.e. after medical training), departments don't get that devoted to individual people, especially a brand new person just out of training.

Unless your PD is so vindictive that they would say, "skeptic85 is going to work for us or no one, lets tank his career if he doesn't want to stay," then you just need to be an adult and,

1. tell your PD on Monday that you signed a contract elsewhere
2. ask if you can put them as a reference
3. move on with your life

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be willing to bet your PD is not as invested in you staying as you think they are.

I'm sure you're great and your current program would love you to stay. But in the real world (i.e. after medical training), departments don't get that devoted to individual people, especially a brand new person just out of training.

Unless your PD is so vindictive that they would say, "skeptic85 is going to work for us or no one, lets tank his career if he doesn't want to stay," then you just need to be an adult and,

1. tell your PD on Monday that you signed a contract elsewhere
2. ask if you can put them as a reference
3. move on with your life
Even if the PD is your mom, I'm sure s/he won't be gutted that you took a job somewhere else.

I've been "bummed out" and "disappointed" that people that I offered positions to took other jobs. But honestly, if there's another job out there (at least by your estimation) that's going to be better for you, good luck and godspeed. I want people that want to work for me to work for me. If you'd rather be somewhere else, I'd rather you not be here.