References in Psych Reports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should you use research references in neuropsych reports?

• Yes, no big deal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TiptoeConqueror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone include references in their neuropsych reports? If so, I'm imagining the in-text citations are standard APA formatting but where would you list the reference section (before or after signature) and is that in standard APA format? Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Polypharmacy's role in cognitive impairment
Ok, but why does this require a reference?

Are you positing a polypharmacy effect/relationship that is to some degree controversial or one that is well-known and widely accepted (e.g. opiates, benzos, etc.)?

I don't think you'd need a reference for the latter.

I will reference something like a normative set if I am using something that is not manualized or widely known. For example, There are high quality MoCA norms that more accurately capture older adults living independently in the community that are a far better indicator than the blanket "greater or equal to 26" that people blindly follow. I just cite the article, if they want the full article, they can find it themselves, or ask me, no need for a reference section. And, I agree with other posters, no need to reference something like "polypharm is bad," or "maybe you shouldn't give Xanax to my older patients with dementia," or "donepezil is useless." These are things that most good doctors should know. The only people for whom these are controversial statements are incompetent prescribing providers who are too lazy to deliver good care to their patients.

I'll sometimes include them in my recommendations, such as with meds so that: A) if the physician balks, they know I'm not just completely making it up, and B) if they're curious, they can look it up themselves. Or if I feel that it would be informative to the patient or referral source (e.g., if I'm referencing a specific type of behavioral intervention, rehab plan, etc.). Beyond that, I generally don't, but have seen reports that do and I didn't find it to be intrusive or overdone.

Reactions: 1 users