Referrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dm24980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do doctors depend only on referrals for getting patients? What are some other ways of getting patients?
When doctors make referrals, what factors do they consider in deciding who to recommend? Have they usually met the doctor they're recommending?
How does a doctor build a practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I have put this thread in a different forum? If so, sorry, and which one?

Well being a pre-med, I only have an idea on how doctors get patients. Usually though referrals, word of mouth from your other patients, some do ads (like best doctor in the area)... for my pediatrician, we learned about him because my mom called the hospital she was going to give birth in and the nurse she spoke to recommend him (so be kind and respectful to everyone as everyone can act as a referral)

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies I'd imagine. But some doctors do rely very heavily on referrals, while others are more proactive about it through advertisement, patient incentives to bring friends, or simply asking patients to spread the word. It also depends on the specialty. I think being a family doctor might be a little difficult to build solely on referrals, while other specialties like neurology might depend on referrals a lot more.

This is just the very little that I have gathered from my time shadowing doctors who have started their own practices over the years. It probably differs for a lit of people. You also have to remember that starting your own practice is a business too. Not everyone is cut out to do it.

Thanks for the replies!

Those are some ideas I hadn't considered. Is it legal to provide incentives (discounted rates) to patients that bring friends?