Referrer passed away...Is it okay to use her letter written for phd application for other things?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeor1006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,
First year clinical psy student here. I am in the process of putting together my application for my first external practica and I have a question about recommendation letters.

A few sites I am applying for require recommendations from previous practica supervisor. I am thinking of using a letter from an amazing professor who supervised me for two semesters' practica in my master's. She knew my work very well and she wrote me a strong letter for my doctoral application. The letter mainly focused on my clinical strength and work ethic.

Most sadly she passed away right before Christmas so I could not request another letter from her. So here is my question, even though I think this letter is very relevant, is it okay to use a letter that starts with "I am writing to recommend XX for doctoral admission"? I have a few letters to choose from, it is just her letter is the strongest.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not use it. You technically do not have "consent" to use it for other purposes. Also, people sometime contact letter writers with follow-up questions. Best bet is to explain that one of your former supervisors/mentors passed away, which is why there is no letter from that person.

If you have other contacts there who you are reasonably close to, I would see if they would write a letter on that person's behalf based in part on the one that you have and explaining the situation. I've heard of similar situations where a DCT wrote a letter on behalf of a graduate advisor who passed away or was otherwise unreachable. Not ideal, but may be the best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it. Just use your previous doctoral practica supervisors. The letters of reference at this point are more of a screen for something unacceptable than anything else.

Thanks guys! It was helpful.
I think I will just go with another letter. He actually supervised me longer.

I would only use the letter from the person who is deceased if a) you had no other good letter options and b) you ran it by your DCT first. But I think using other letters, if possible, would be better.