Regarding MRI's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you generally see used in clinical practice T1 weighted or T2? And what are the advantages of one over the other.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, both T1 and T2 are pretty much performed on every scan. I don't think I've seen one without the other. There are also many other techniques (proton density, FLAIR, STIR, FATSAT, etc) that are often used depending on the body part and clinical question at hand.

As for the advantages of one over the other, there are two many clinical uses and body parts to answer this broad question. In general, T1 is better for visualizing anatomy and T2 for pathology (this is VERY general).

Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex
Actually, both T1 and T2 are pretty much performed on every scan. I don't think I've seen one without the other. There are also many other techniques (proton density, FLAIR, STIR, FATSAT, etc) that are often used depending on the body part and clinical question at hand.

As for the advantages of one over the other, there are two many clinical uses and body parts to answer this broad question. In general, T1 is better for visualizing anatomy and T2 for pathology (this is VERY general).

We were also told the same thing but my personal feel is that T1 is great for paths too.Lots of time T1 shows the path better.But as you said ..very general observation..

Regards

I'm just a researcher at this point, but I think Diffusion is superior to T1 and T2 for most things, especially at higher fields (3T and beyond). If we ever make it to "very" high fields clinically (e.g. 7-8 T), T1 and T2 contrast practically disappear.