Reimbursment for Computer with HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so confused about computer reimbursement for HPSP. My School is making us purchase a certain type of computer through them! I was originally told by my recruiter that anything the school requires-the Navy will pay for....

Now I am being told that they will not cover computer costs. I can rent a computer for up to $500 a year as long as it is not lease to own. This doesn't make sense because the computer they want us to buy is only $1000!

I talked to the school and renting is not an option so I am at a loss for what I need to do. My friends in medical school that did HPSP had their computers paid for so I don't really see the difference. I think how it worked for them was the school included in their tuition so the Navy paid for it. This just doesn't seem fair and makes me think what else have they told me they were going to pay for or pay me that they are going to retract on later!

Anyone dealing/have dealt with this? Any loopholes to get this mandatory laptop covered? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a quote from a Navy physician he is on the military medical forums a lot as
NavyFP:

NavyFP
06-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Sorry, they can't buy you a computer. It has to do with government purchasing law. Something about being able to use it for non-work/school functions. What would have to happen is the government would have to purchase the computer and issue it to you. Then it would be subject to all of the administrative controls of government IT. You would not be able to add programs and such. It would be a complete nightmare.

Leases, not lease to own, are ok, because you never truly OWN, the computer.

Sucks, but it is what it is. As a side note, the stipend is not technically for you to live on....it is to cover costs of going to school not included in tuition and fees. A computer would fall into that category.