Rejected--blessing in disguise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just wanted to give a little motivation for those who might be feeling down, anxious, or stressed regarding this whole application process. I was recently rejected from every (yes EVERY) single Podiatry program. Was I pretty upset? Yes. Was I surprised? Well.. maybe not completely. I don't have the best academic record and have some very poor grades that have held me back. My MCAT score isn't the best either and I definitely could have studied more. So why am I telling you this? Because I'm glad that I got rejected now instead of down the line. It's a sign that I NEED to improve my own study habits and rethink how I go about tackling difficult course material. Even if I was accepted now with my low stats, who's to say that I would've done well? I see this as an opportunity to improve myself before taking the next step towards medical school. I know the feeling all too well of wanting to RUSH and get accepted ASAP because everyone around you is working, in grad school, etc. Don't worry about that, we all have our own path to follow and it's important to remember that.

My next stop? I've had several interviews for masters programs in biomedical science (there's one in particular that is my top choice due to Linkage with Temple). My hope is that I can get accepted to a 1-2 year program, perform well and then re-apply. Also I'll be retaking the MCAT in September.

This is your journey and yours alone. We'll all get to where we need to be someday. I hope whoever reads this has a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Hey everyone I just wanted to give a little motivation for those who might be feeling down, anxious, or stressed regarding this whole application process. I was recently rejected from every (yes EVERY) single Podiatry program. Was I pretty upset? Yes. Was I surprised? Well.. maybe not completely. I don't have the best academic record and have some very poor grades that have held me back. My MCAT score isn't the best either and I definitely could have studied more. So why am I telling you this? Because I'm glad that I got rejected now instead of down the line. It's a sign that I NEED to improve my own study habits and rethink how I go about tackling difficult course material. Even if I was accepted now with my low stats, who's to say that I would've done well? I see this as an opportunity to improve myself before taking the next step towards medical school. I know the feeling all too well of wanting to RUSH and get accepted ASAP because everyone around you is working, in grad school, etc. Don't worry about that, we all have our own path to follow and it's important to remember that.

My next stop? I've had several interviews for masters programs in biomedical science. My hope is that I can get accepted to a 1-2 year program, perform well and then re-apply. Also I'll be retaking the MCAT in September. (There's one in particular that is my top choice due to Linkage with Temple).

This is your journey and yours alone. We'll all get to where we need to be someday. I hope whoever reads this has a great day!
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

My next stop? I've had several interviews for masters programs in biomedical science (there's one in particular that is my top choice due to Linkage with Temple). My hope is that I can get accepted to a 1-2 year program, perform well and then re-apply. Also I'll be retaking the MCAT in September.

Are you set on podiatry? There’s SMP’s with strong links to DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you set on podiatry? There’s SMP’s with strong links to DO programs.
Yes I am quite set on Podiatry. The program that I'm interested in has a Linkage agreement with Temple as well as guaranteed interview for several D.O. programs that I'll be taking advantage of. I'll be keeping my options open!

Yes I am quite set on Podiatry. The program that I'm interested in has a Linkage agreement with Temple as well as guaranteed interview for several D.O. programs that I'll be taking advantage of. I'll be keeping my options open!
NYMC has an SMP with linkage to the NY podiatry school.

Best wishes for you. I think you are making a good choice to do SMP and MCAT retake. Good luck.

Remember, this is probably your last chance to get into medicine. Apply your best effort as if everything depends on this. Seek guidance and help asap when needed, rethink your strategies, you will do well.

Time will fly by quickly during your SMP. I honestly can't believe we are pretty much done with our first year here. Feels like we just started. Only 4 exams left.

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your GPA? I have a 3.4 GPA and am terrified of being rejected from every school I apply

I wish you the best of luck, in your SMP and your future applications. If you interviewed, I would also call admissions and ask for advice/feedback other than GPA/MCAT, just for your future reference

What were your stats? Did you have a decent letter of rec/shadowing? Would be helpful if you had more info here.

How bad were your stats?

It might be a better idea to take the med school prerecs again and retake the MCAT. Honestly if you can get your GPA above a 2.7 and your MCAT about a 490, you’ll have chances at big school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad were your stats?

It might be a better idea to take the med school prerecs again and retake the MCAT. Honestly if you can get your GPA above a 2.7 and your MCAT about a 490, you’ll have chances at big school.
Pretty bad, Im re-taking Physics 1 and 2 and currently have an A in each. I retook Biochem/Ochem and got B+ in both (chem is tough for me). My GPA is rockbottom at a <2.5 due to my first year of undergrad being so disastrous (my science GPA is a 2.65 right now)

My MCAT I'm aiming for a 505+ this time around.

I'm really banking on doing this SMP program if I get in..the Temple Linkage is too good!
What were your stats? Did you have a decent letter of rec/shadowing? Would be helpful if you had more info here.
ER Scribe 2000+ hours
Surgery Center Intern/Shadowing 1500+ hours
Free clinic volunteering 500+ hours
Various work experience non-healthcare related 5+ years
Good letters of rec, 3 total.
Podiatry shadowing experience as well

Also thank you for all of the kind words, it does mean a lot to me :)

Also thank you for all of the kind words, it does mean a lot to me :)

I think if you got accepted to an SMP and did really well (3.7+) and scored decently on the MCAT you should be competitive for some DO schools (maybe MD also). Have you thought about DO? Your ECs look great. BTW how many credits do you have total for undergrad? Is bringing your GPA up to a 3.0 plausible?

I think if you got accepted to an SMP and did really well (3.7+) and scored decently on the MCAT you should be competitive for some DO schools (maybe MD also). Have you thought about DO? Your ECs look great. BTW how many credits do you have total for undergrad? Is bringing your GPA up to a 3.0 plausible?
The SMP I'm looking at has Guaranteed Interview agreements with 4 D.O. programs, I'll definitely take advantage of that if I get in! I have way too many credits for undergrad, if I got into a SMP program for let's say ~38 units and got a 3.7+ my cumulative GPA would be a 2.7 and a sGPA of a 3.1 (since D.O. averages undergrad and grad).

That’s what SMPs are for, good luck!

The SMP I'm looking at has Guaranteed Interview agreements with 4 D.O. programs, I'll definitely take advantage of that if I get in! I have way too many credits for undergrad, if I got into a SMP program for let's say ~38 units and got a 3.7+ my cumulative GPA would be a 2.7 and a sGPA of a 3.1 (since D.O. averages undergrad and grad).

When you get rejected by all 9 there I think two real possibilities. One is that you are a dreadful candidate. Two is that you applied so late that they are doing you a favor - they've got a wait list of people they are going to take first. At some point the wait list doesn't need to be any longer. The podiatry time table is way less aggressive than the MD early application time table, but I personally knew where I was going by Thanksgiving and that isn't early. The portal had already been open an extended period of time.

When you get rejected by all 9 there I think two real possibilities. One is that you are a dreadful candidate. Two is that you applied so late that they are doing you a favor - they've got a wait list of people they are going to take first. At some point the wait list doesn't need to be any longer. The podiatry time table is way less aggressive than the MD early application time table, but I personally knew where I was going by Thanksgiving and that isn't early. The portal had already been open an extended period of time.
Hello! Yes I did apply in March, which is pretty late in the cycle.

The Med School dream is still alive folks. Just got an interview invite for LMU's SMP this week. The program has guaranteed acceptance now with a 3.4 in the Fall semester, hoping to get into this!

Careful with that school, I have read some really concerning things about their masters.

I think if you still want podiatry, just do a do it yourself postbacc at a local university and hike your GPA up to a 2.5 and get a 497 MCAT. One of the bigger schools will take you.

The Med School dream is still alive folks. Just got an interview invite for LMU's SMP this week. The program has guaranteed acceptance now with a 3.4 in the Fall semester, hoping to get into this!

Reactions: 1 users
Careful with that school, I have read some really concerning things about their masters.

I think if you still want podiatry, just do a do it yourself postbacc at a local university and hike your GPA up to a 2.5 and get a 497 MCAT. One of the bigger schools will take you.
What have u heard?

Lots of people waitlisted from the masters to the DO school and never heard back. Your undergrad and MCAT still matters. IMO not worth it, better to do a bio degree or DIY post bacc.

If you are interested in DO school, do LECOM or VCOM. these post baccs have a track record of getting students into their DO programs and are a guarantee if the person can hack it.

The Much safer and less expensive route for low stat premeds who still wanna be a doctor is to go to Pod school. If someone messes up the SMP at a DO school, it could close doors to all professional schools. I know of 4 premeds personally that did a DO SMP and failed out. Not sure what they are doing now, but I told them to look into Podiatry. Maybe some of the bigger schools will take the ones who couldn’t manage a 3.4 or whatever it was needed for the SMP

What have u heard?

Alright alright so update.

I was rejected from LMU's SMP program but have received acceptance into their Post-Bacc program which apparently is invite only and newly revamped. They state if I complete the post-bacc (1 year) I'm automatically accepted into the Masters program for next fall. The LMU SMP also has guaranteed acceptance into DCOM now which is nice.

Similarly, I was recently accepted into EMU's MS in Biomedicine! The guaranteed interviews are a nice plus for the DO schools, as well as the TUSPM linkage. I've heard great things about this Masters so I'm leaning more towards EMU also due to location.

In summary:

LMU Post-Bacc -> LMU SMP -> LMU DCOM (2 years total)
EMU SMP -> TUSMP or other DO school(s) (2 years total)

Any insight/thoughts?

I was rejected from LMU's SMP program but have received acceptance into their Post-Bacc program which apparently is invite only and newly revamped. They state if I complete the post-bacc (1 year) I'm automatically accepted into the Masters program for next fall. The LMU SMP also has guaranteed acceptance into DCOM now which is nice.

Similarly, I was recently accepted into EMU's MS in Biomedicine! The guaranteed interviews are a nice plus for the DO schools, as well as the TUSPM linkage. I've heard great things about this Masters so I'm leaning more towards EMU also due to location.

In summary:

Any insight/thoughts?

Define "guaranteed acceptance". Look closely at the requirements needed, and how well it links to the actual school. For example, if the class starts off with 200 students and only 40 students make it in, find out why the other 160 didn't make it. See with other students on their experiences with the program and administration. With SMP's and Postbaccs, the devil is in the details IMO. I've run into some where they help and genuinely want to help students, and I've run into others that were...not so great.

In summary:

Any insight/thoughts?
If you are rejected from their SMP, I wonder why. I think being rejected from SMP tells one that being accepted into their COM is even lower. You have to do well in in SMP to stand out among other interviewees. I would never go into SMP without guaranteed acceptance. IMO DIY postbacc is so much better then. Since it is a bit more flexible, cheaper and probably easier. If you do 2 years of post bacc with 3.7-4.0 GPA and good MCAT (~500) you will get interviews. What's the point of non-guarantee SMP?

The EMU SMP has Guaranteed Acceptance to Temple Pod school. They also have guaranteed interview for DO schools. The requirement is a 3.4 or higher in the graduate program.

Similarly the LMU SMP has guaranteed acceptance into their med school now. Both programs will take me 2 years to complete.

3.4 is kind of high considering you are gonna be taking medical school level classes. It’s not microbiology with a bunch of bio undergrads at college. There are people in Medical schools barely passing, what makes you think you can get a high score? A C can really throw a wrench into things.

Though, if this were me and I was wanting to do Podiatry, I might as well try the SMP. As long as you don’t get below a 3.0, I could see a lot of bigger Pod schools accepting you. Might as well shoot for MD, if that doesn’t work, DO, if that doesn’t work, DPM. If that doesn’t work, I’d research into Pharmacy and see if it’s something I could do/find a job in.

Much better plan than the Caribbean I think. Instead of wasting 250k to see if you can hack it, might only be 40k at an SMP.

I still say if you can get your cumulative GPA to a 2.7 and your MCAT to a 495, you have a good chance at Pod schools. B- is a 2.7.

The EMU SMP has Guaranteed Acceptance to Temple Pod school. They also have guaranteed interview for DO schools. The requirement is a 3.4 or higher in the graduate program.

Similarly the LMU SMP has guaranteed acceptance into their med school now. Both programs will take me 2 years to complete.

Big point. I know a handful of people from a well know DO SMP who did well but were never accepted.

Undergrad GPA will always matter to professional schools. The past is never erased.

The only problem with a DIY post bacc is that if the undergrad GPA is too low, OP might get passed over.

If you are rejected from their SMP, I wonder why. I think being rejected from SMP tells one that being accepted into their COM is even lower. You have to do well in in SMP to stand out among other interviewees. I would never go into SMP without guaranteed acceptance. IMO DIY postbacc is so much better then. Since it is a bit more flexible, cheaper and probably easier. If you do 2 years of post bacc with 3.7-4.0 GPA and good MCAT (~500) you will get interviews. What's the point of non-guarantee SMP?

Big point. I know a handful of people from a well know DO SMP who did well but were never accepted.

Undergrad GPA will always matter to professional schools. The past is never erased.

The only problem with a DIY post bacc is that if the undergrad GPA is too low, OP might get passed over.
If you mean that even after 1-2 years of Post-Bacc their GPA is still under 3.0?
I agree. For these cases SMP might be the best move. But if your GPA is so low that they reject you, maybe that's even good since I dont believe one can climb out of undergrad 2.5-2.7 GPA into 3.7-4.0 SMP GPA. Hard to believe it just happens like that. The thing with SMPs is that they start with heavy science load right away and if you are not ready it will swallow you. With Post-Bacc, you can start slow and increase load as you feel ready. You are a bit more in control of the classes you take and the course load.

SMPs apparently work for some and serve a good bridge for MD/DO schools. But, I wouldn't really count SMP programs as guaranteed means to securing MD/DO seat. It's a lot of expensive hard work without guaranteed reward.

3.4 is kind of high considering you are gonna be taking medical school level classes. It’s not microbiology with a bunch of bio undergrads at college. There are people in Medical schools barely passing, what makes you think you can get a high score? A C can really throw a wrench into things.

Though, if this were me and I was wanting to do Podiatry, I might as well try the SMP. As long as you don’t get below a 3.0, I could see a lot of bigger Pod schools accepting you. Might as well shoot for MD, if that doesn’t work, DO, if that doesn’t work, DPM. If that doesn’t work, I’d research into Pharmacy and see if it’s something I could do/find a job in.

Much better plan than the Caribbean I think. Instead of wasting 250k to see if you can hack it, might only be 40k at an SMP.

I still say if you can get your cumulative GPA to a 2.7 and your MCAT to a 495, you have a good chance at Pod schools. B- is a 2.7.
I also think that if OP keeps SMP GPA above 3.0 and does better on MCAT retake, they will get in at some pod schools. If OP make 3.4+ and has a competitive MCAT score, they might give DO interview a chance. I just think OP needs to be ready for all the options considering undergrad GPA. Get at it from the start with good attitude and hard work.

I also think that if OP keeps SMP GPA above 3.0 and does better on MCAT retake, they will get in at some pod schools. If OP make 3.4+ and has a competitive MCAT score, they might give DO interview a chance. I just think OP needs to be ready for all the options considering undergrad GPA. Get at it from the start with good attitude and hard work.

This is exactly my mindset going into things this time around. The good thing is that for the guaranteed acceptance I can sort of "start over" in the sense that only my graduate GPA is used. But yes even with all of this being said, I still need to kick ass in either program to utilize any of these 'agreements'.

I like what EMU is offering me and from graduates of the program it seems like there's been overall very positive experiences.

I'm ready to do this!

What does EMU stand for?

You don’t have to do a SMP with an auto acceptance to Pod school IMO. Anything 3.0 and above in an SMP will be ok coupled with a MCAT above a 490-495. Find the best deal with a MD or DO school and go from there.

This is exactly my mindset going into things this time around. The good thing is that for the guaranteed acceptance I can sort of "start over" in the sense that only my graduate GPA is used. But yes even with all of this being said, I still need to kick ass in either program to utilize any of these 'agreements'.

I like what EMU is offering me and from graduates of the program it seems like there's been overall very positive experiences.

I'm ready to do this!

What does EMU stand for?

You don’t have to do a SMP with an auto acceptance to Pod school IMO. Anything 3.0 and above in an SMP will be ok coupled with a MCAT above a 490-495. Find the best deal with a MD or DO school and go from there.
Eastern Mennonite University

Here's all the agreements they have for the MS program:

Eastern Mennonite University

Here's all the agreements they have for the MS program:

I think you have 1 of 2 options here.
The DO schools listed in EMU's MS program, one of them doesn't have a good reputation LUCOM. The other one VCOM has a strict 3.0 uGPA requirement, so I'm not sure if they will still consider your uGPA for admission from EMU's program. Also, it's a guaranteed interview not acceptance.
If I was in your position I would either:
1. Continue taking upper level science courses as a DIY post-bacc, take dedicated time off and put your heart in soul into your MCAT prep and attempt to score 505+. I would then reapply to reputable 1-year SMP programs next year, this time with a stronger upward trend and a better MCAT.
2. Enroll in LMU's postbacc + SMP program for a guaranteed acceptance, not interview. With the intension that I have to give it my all because this might be my last opportunity for an acceptance into medical school.

Either path you choose won't be easy and will be a 2-year process, work your butt off and show the adcoms that your previous academic flaws don't represent the person you are currently. Good luck on your journey, stay strong. :thumbup:

I think if you're more set on DO than podiatry, do the SMP. However, if you would rather do podiatry, I feel the SMP is unnecessary. It would be more cost effective if you took upper level science classes at a local college or university (informal post-bacc). I'd then apply after your first semester once your grades are in. Assuming those are good and your MCAT is good, you should have no trouble getting into a podiatry school.

Reactions: 4 users
I think if you're more set on DO than podiatry, do the SMP. However, if you would rather do podiatry, I feel the SMP is unnecessary. It would be more cost effective if you took upper level science classes at a local college or university (informal post-bacc). I'd then apply after your first semester once your grades are in. Assuming those are good and your MCAT is good, you should have no trouble getting into a podiatry school.
This

Awesome, I really appreciate the advice everyone! Will continue to keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks again for the support

Alright so ANOTHER update (sorry for the spam lol). Was just accepted to PCOM for their SMP program-- another decision that needs to be made. Any thoughts? Seems like a strong program with guaranteed acceptance if I do the 2 year route and maintain the GPA requirement / interview.

Alright so ANOTHER update (sorry for the spam lol). Was just accepted to PCOM for their SMP program-- another decision that needs to be made. Any thoughts? Seems like a strong program with guaranteed acceptance if I do the 2 year route and maintain the GPA requirement / interview.

PCOM is one of the more established DO schools, and I have heard great things about their master's program. They also have a guaranteed interview upon meeting certain requirements. I'd take that acceptance, it's the best choice based your options you mentioned. BTW, GA campus or PA campus?

Reactions: 2 users
PCOM is one of the more established DO schools, and I have heard great things about their master's program. They also have a guaranteed interview upon meeting certain requirements. I'd take that acceptance, it's the best choice based your options you mentioned. BTW, GA campus or PA campus?
GA! and Im planning to attend! Also theres a 2 year acceptance track if you meet the pre-reqs

Alright I need some feedback! I’m going to be attending the PCOM-GA program which starts early August. It’s a two year program, so I’m deciding on when I should retake the MCAT? The minimum for conditional acceptance is 45-50th percentile or higher. Therefore I’m deciding if I should:

1. Try and study within the next month and take it early August before I start. If I did this I’d be able to do the guaranteed interview after my first year of biomed and maybe get accepted that way? (Granted if my grad gpa and MCAT is high enough).

2. Hold off and take the MCAT next August while studying for 3 months that summer. (Safer option?)

3. ???

I’m sort of leaning toward the first option because I feel like I’d be able to score at least a 500. But at the same time I should probably not rush studying for it again. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Alright I need some feedback! I’m going to be attending the PCOM-GA program which starts early August. It’s a two year program, so I’m deciding on when I should retake the MCAT? The minimum for conditional acceptance is 45-50th percentile or higher. Therefore I’m deciding if I should:

1. Try and study within the next month and take it early August before I start. If I did this I’d be able to do the guaranteed interview after my first year of biomed and maybe get accepted that way? (Granted if my grad gpa and MCAT is high enough).

2. Hold off and take the MCAT next August while studying for 3 months that summer. (Safer option?)

3. ???

I’m sort of leaning toward the first option because I feel like I’d be able to score at least a 500. But at the same time I should probably not rush studying for it again. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
I would take next year. Take time to study.

3. ???

You could try and study till August. Do lots of practice through UWorld, then take the AAMC full length and see if you can get at least 500. If you can't score 500 on the practice, I'd wait until next August to take the real thing.