rejected early- bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulstudent1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad sign if I've been rejected by two schools already and haven't received any interview invites?

Members don't see this ad.

Mind sharing stats as well? Could they be low sub 3.0 or any DAT section below 16 17?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Crap ignore that i am in the wrong forum. Phone isnt letting me delete that...ha...sry cant help ya.. good luck....XD

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to 15 and I was complete at all schools by the end of august/early september.

This depends on tier of schools and your stats. Too little information, right now.

Crap ignore that i am in the wrong forum. Phone isnt letting me delete that...ha...sry cant help ya.. good luck....XD

best be movin' along now, we ain't likin' your kind here...

I honestly wouldn't be concerned till after thanksgiving.

Yea, but I feel it's slowly getting to the point that Goro's 15% statement is becoming more evident now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
best be movin' along now, we ain't likin' your kind here...

Yea, but I feel it's slowly getting to the point that Goro's 15% statement is becoming more evident now.

What was the 15% statement?

Is it a bad sign if I've been rejected by two schools already and haven't received any interview invites?
Depends on a lot of factors, I think. Your stats, when you were complete, the # and type of schools you applied to, etc. For me the fastest rejections came from state schools where I was OOS. If you're getting rejections from those types of schools, I think it's to be expected. You're taking a pretty big risk applying to those schools to begin with. If, however, you've been straight up rejected from lower-tier private schools, it might be a sign that there's something wrong with your app/LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro said weeks ago that at most schools, only about 15% of IIs remain to be given out. By now it's probably like 5%.
Um... I can't find anything like that from Goro's past posts.

The best I could find was that schools typically interview 10-20% of applicants.

The best I could find was that schools typically interview 10-20% of applicants.
Perhaps I'm getting confused as to which adcom said that 85% of IIs had gone out already. Either way, Goro concurred.

I honestly wouldn't be concerned till after thanksgiving.

check out the most recent page on the "Ask an adcom anything" thread. Goro responds to someone where he states that his MD adcom colleagues have more or less said the same thing

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/another-adcom-ask-me-almost-anything.1055932/page-29

check out the most recent page on the "Ask an adcom anything" thread. Goro responds to someone where he states that his MD adcom colleagues have more or less said the same thing

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/another-adcom-ask-me-almost-anything.1055932/page-29
Thanks. I would agree that most interview invites should have already been sent out, considering the fact that most applicants should have already sent in their secondaries already. To say that there are only 15% of interview invites left is... not something I would preach as fact though. It depends on the school as some are non-rolling and some are slow-rolling.

Don't go too crazy. I am by no means a stellar applicant and got my 5th rejection today. I also got my first acceptance today. I've only gotten 2 IIs. It ain't over till it's over.

I had one rejection in mid July and was accepted on 10/15

I'm almost positive he didn't, especially seeing as the DO cycle runs much longer. Plus, I would imagine he would specify if he were posting in the pre-allo forums.

I think he meant DO schools.
I believe it was gyngyn who said that most of the interviews had gone out, and Goro said that wasn't the case for his school. Could be wrong!

Yes I believe that was the case. Also, gyngyn is from MD school whereas Goro is from DO.

15%? 5%? I thought only 1% of the II spots remained, oh well. Did I scare u? Point is, it depends on the school. lower-tier schools tend to get more applicants, so their process of sending out IIs are slower- you still have more than a chance. OTOH for example NYU I heard ends their Interviews in Dec, so their IIs end much earlier.... uh oh. http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/how-apply