Rejected from Dental School - Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASongOfIceAndDentistry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends. I applied for fall 2017 admission to dental school but was denied entry. I applied to all three schools in Texas (I am a Texas resident) as well as Oklahoma. I got interviews at Dallas and Oklahoma. I was wait listed by Oklahoma before being denied, and I heard nothing from Dallas until I was denied on July 10th.
I'm not quite sure what all I need to do to improve my application. I have a 3.587 overall GPA with 3.467 math and science. I was a chemistry major with biology minor. My DAT scores are Academic Avg 22/Total Science 20/Organic Chem 19/Gen Chem 22/Biology 19/Reading 25/Math 24/Perceptual 19.
I decided to take 2 years off so that my application can be as strong as possible, but other than that I'm not sure what would be most beneficial. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Mm might want to ask the schools you got interviews at? If you got the interview seems like your application was ok but maybe you fell short at the interview stage? The DAT and GPA looks good but what about extracurricular/shadowing?

Reactions: 1 user
I think the average GPA for the Texan schools is 3.7. It's very competitive. If you want to go to dental school without boosting up your stats (which is a waste), apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are decent. Apply to some less competitive schools

Apply broadly! Your stats are competitive but even people with the most competitive stats usually apply to more than 4 schools. I feel like you'll definitely get in if you just apply to more schools.

Apply (far) more broadly and get some interview feedback because chances are that's where the issues were rather than your stats. Why are you taking 2 years off before applying again?

Mm might want to ask the schools you got interviews at? If you got the interview seems like your application was ok but maybe you fell short at the interview stage? The DAT and GPA looks good but what about extracurricular/shadowing?
I was president of a pre-health club for two years in college, worked part time, was very involved in the Honors College at my school, and I have over 200 hours of shadowing two general dentists, an oral surgeon, and an orthodontist. I asked the schools I got interviews at as well as the other two schools in Texas what I could do to improve my application, but the only thing they told me is to volunteer a little, take a few upper level biology post-bacc classes, and then reapply. It doesn't seem enough to me though, especially since I did not get interviews for Houston or San Antonio.

Apply (far) more broadly and get some interview feedback because chances are that's where the issues were rather than your stats. Why are you taking 2 years off before applying again?
I'll make sure and ask for feedback specifically from my interview! Thanks for the advice! I'm taking two years off because I heard back so late from Dallas and because my last semester of college was killer and I didn't feel like I could submit a quality application and still pass all of my classes. The next time I apply, I want to make sure I get in!

but the only thing they told me is to volunteer a little
I try to take a month about every two years to volunteer outside the US. I think it keeps me grounded because we live really privileged lives here and it's easy to forget how lucky we are to be Americans with access to all sorts of stuff. I usually go through Love Volunteers based in New Zealand. They are a really good organization and can line you up with a placement that would really make your application stand out. There is a Roma (aka Gypsie) orphanage in Albania that I have been DYING to go to for some time. If you have no kids and no commitments this is one way to have some experiences that no one else would have.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the average GPA for the Texan schools is 3.7. It's very competitive. If you want to go to dental school without boosting up your stats (which is a waste), apply to more schools.
Just checked and I don't think that's the case. Apparently San antonio's CO 2020 had an average 3.52 gpa lol

What are you doing now to improve your application? Do you have anything new to add to your app or were you just chilling this cycle and waiting

When I applied to dental school the first time I submitted my application and then continued to shadow and then became an RDA to top it off. If you apply again it better be broadly because clearly the TX schools are hit or miss especially if you havent done anything in the mean time.

I will say though that you should do anything you humanly can to get into TX schools because the tuition is almost 50% cheaper so you would save like 2-3 years of salary. Looks like you need to improve your interview skills based on what you wrote though.

Last edited:
Not everyone gets into dental school in their first application. 4 schools are too few. With about 2,000 applicants vying for about 100 seats in a dental school, you want to maximize your chances of entry. Apply to 10+. 15 would be a good number. It costs you less in the long run to apply to more schools than it is to not have a year of a doctor's income and a less expensive cost of tuition (which increases each year).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked and I don't think that's the case. Apparently San antonio's CO 2020 had an average 3.52 gpa lol
I think for all three schools it was a 3.7. I remember seeing that stat somewhere on here.

You should apply different school. Like Loma linda or something away from ur home. You will eventually get in!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was president of a pre-health club for two years in college, worked part time, was very involved in the Honors College at my school, and I have over 200 hours of shadowing two general dentists, an oral surgeon, and an orthodontist. I asked the schools I got interviews at as well as the other two schools in Texas what I could do to improve my application, but the only thing they told me is to volunteer a little, take a few upper level biology post-bacc classes, and then reapply. It doesn't seem enough to me though, especially since I did not get interviews for Houston or San Antonio.

How does your PS look? Maybe have some people look it over. I would think you should have got some interviews from All three here in TX with your stats.

Texas resident as well. Those are some great stats, I don't even come close and if they reject you they will surely reject me. I'll be giving up after this cycle.

Hi friends. I applied for fall 2017 admission to dental school but was denied entry. I applied to all three schools in Texas (I am a Texas resident) as well as Oklahoma. I got interviews at Dallas and Oklahoma. I was wait listed by Oklahoma before being denied, and I heard nothing from Dallas until I was denied on July 10th.
I'm not quite sure what all I need to do to improve my application. I have a 3.587 overall GPA with 3.467 math and science. I was a chemistry major with biology minor. My DAT scores are Academic Avg 22/Total Science 20/Organic Chem 19/Gen Chem 22/Biology 19/Reading 25/Math 24/Perceptual 19.
I decided to take 2 years off so that my application can be as strong as possible, but other than that I'm not sure what would be most beneficial. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!

If you take two years off then you better have something to show for it. Get your RDA license and attend every Texas Mission of Mercy offered and work as an assistant, great experience and connections to be made at those events. Maybe also try to get a RDA position at a dental office. Many schools also like you to maintain a connection to the classroom, so maybe look into a Master's or Post-bacc.

Ok well first thing is that it is NOT all about the GPA. If you had gotten zero interviews, it may be due to GPA/DAT but if you were invited to interview at multiple schools including Dallas, it means you're in the right ballpark. Of course, taking the DAT again and doing well wouldn't hurt (maybe try and bump that TS to a 22+). However, schools don't waste time interviewing candidates they don't like. Because of that, I'm leaning more towards the idea that you need to beef up some extracurriculars, volunteering, or leadership. Try and do things that are slightly out of the box that you think will catch an interviewer's eye. Also if I were you, I might think about applying next year as well even if you plan on spending a whole two years improving your app. This shows consistency and that you really want to get accepted. They might have a few questions on why you skipped a whole year and applied the next.

Texas resident as well. Those are some great stats, I don't even come close and if they reject you they will surely reject me. I'll be giving up after this cycle.

Im sure you are applying to more than just the texas schools?

There are plenty of underserved communities in the United States who are struggling to access dental care. If you are planning to practice in the US (and not abroad), then I strongly recommend seeking out opportunities and volunteering in those communities to better understand how you can best serve those populations. The disparity in dental care access in our country sadly may not be as different as you may find abroad.
We have a lot of problems with oral health in this country that you don't even see overseas because our diet is so heavy in processed foods with refined sugar or corn syrup.

You seriously shot yourself in the foot applying to only 4 schools - I'd have recommended 3 or 4 times as many. Your numbers look fine to get in somewhere. I get that Texas schools have awesome tuition, but because you're now missing out on at least a year of dentist income you might as well have gone somewhere more expensive as an out of stater. As others have said, you need to apply much more broadly.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to 15 schools last cycle, with no interviews. 15-18 again this cycle.

I applied to 20 dental schools, my brother 25 medical schools. It's expensive, sure, but it opens more opportunities. It was worth it for both of us and we all got into good programs.

reassess where your weaknesses are and be realistic. all the best.

I applied to 15 schools last cycle, with no interviews. 15-18 again this cycle.

Hey, were you are TMOM in Kerrville this year?... you look familiar

Wait, I'm a little confused. I thought they would send out decision on December 1st? Does this depend on the school?

I think for all three schools it was a 3.7. I remember seeing that stat somewhere on here.
For class of 2020 at SA, the average acceptance stats were overall GPA 3.56 and 20.4AA DAT. Source: straight from the admissions office.

From all of your comments:

It sounds like it wasn't that your interview was bad, but that it was mediocre if they give that kind of advice. (((I mean no shade when I say this.))) It's hard to have a amazing interview.

They also told you to get more ECs and lift up your GPA a bit. It sounds to me that you just got unlucky this year. You were good on all parts, but just not outstanding in enough areas since it is a super competitive process. :(

Here some questions for you: When were you verified when you turned in your application? And when was your DAT verified?

If you got interviews and didn't get in it's probably because your interview was weak compared to other students... Did you research the school till you felt like there was nothing else you can learn about it? Knowing facts that other students might not know is a great way to impress the adcoms. For example if you know the school got a Grant for their outreach clinic or maybe they just added a new research department etc. Mention that because other students might not know about this.

Honestly, applying to only 4 schools!
That was a big mistake who told you to do that?

and seriously, they would wait till July to tell you they rejected you, how cruel! I wouldn't even look at these schools ever again if I were you! That was super unprofessional and cruel, they knew they didn't want you but they decided hell, let's wait and mess up his next cycle as well!

and then seriously you would waste another 2 year doing nothing.

Apply again, why you do these mistakes over and over again!

Apply to many schools this cycle, 15 schools and do more volunteer work while you wait!

Do mock interviews to prepare! Do your research about the school before you go there.
Next time, look good in your interview, wear nice clothes, and use expensive perfume, hell go and get free samples from Macy's or some perfume store! ( please don't assume I am saying you didn't look good and sharp, I am just saying these stuff just in case)

I mean this was probably your interview!

Best of luck!

Last edited: