Rejected from every post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elleE23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat as you. My stats are higher, but I am a TRUE career changer in that I took no real science classes in college, but graduated from a highly regarded business school and went on to open a successful business. I sold it in August because I realized I have no desire to be in business. I've always been fascinated by medicine and come from a long line of doctors. I felt like I had to do something different and blaze my own entrepreneurial path, but I just have no passion for business and want to use my mind and time to help people in a more altruistic way. Anyways, I was rejected from UVA a while ago and woke up to my rejection from Tufts this morning. Needless to say, I feel pretty rotten right now. I haven't heard back from Columbia yet, but I have similar feelings about the high cost/terrible reviews of the program. When did you hear back from Columbia?

My first thought this morning, "Screw this. I'll just go to law school." Upon true introspection though, I don't want to go to law school, I want to be a doctor. I'm thinking of applying to Harvard and Berkeley extension programs, but am worried about my performance at those due to the lack of structure and also my chances of getting into med school since they are not as highly regarded programs and don't have the same opportunities as the other formal programs.

I don't think that really gave you any answers, but hopefully it will make you feel better that you're not the only one. I think these programs should really change their name from "career changer" to "career transition" because from what I've ascertained, most people who get into these programs were previously some type of science major who worked in a medical setting (biochem, emt, scribe, psych ward, medical office) and now want to transition to becoming a doctor, which really skews the playing field.

Northwestern has a pretty good post bac. Several of my friends went through it and started medical school this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone..

If you remember these were my stats:
Non traditional (only have taken chemistry and statistics)
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.7
ACT: 27
High School GPA:3.7

I applied to Tufts, Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Hopkins, and Columbia, and was rejected from all but Columbia. I'm not going to attend Columbia based on price and what I've heard on these forums.

What do I do next? I don't know what to do, where to go, or how I'm going to get to medical school. Should I just accept that I don't have the stats for medical school, and go a different route?

It looks like you're particular about "name schools"..... you could try Rosalind Franklin post bacc, Commonwealth U in PA, and there's plenty of DO schools with post-bacc if you don't mind going into medicine that route.

>Applied to only five programs
>Got accepted to arguably second or third best one
>"Rejected from every post bac"

Beggars can't be choosers. Either take what you were given or apply more broadly. You could easily have applied more broadly and been accepted to lower cost, decent postbacs that would have gotten you into medical school if you had done well.

The other option is a DIY at the best institution you can afford or that is reasonable.

Reactions: 5 users
I thought Columbia was "easy B, hard A" for most of their classes? Does Moshkowitz hand out a lot of C's, D's and F's?

I have a buddy there who said physics at Columbia was a joke; curved to a 3.5 from a class average in the 50s.

From what I've heard, HES on the other hand is universally an aggressive grade deflater, with their ochem and bio both being nightmarish

Hello.
I have had a nightmare of an experience in my 2.5 years as a post bac at Columbia Most of my classmates have dropped out. If I had to do it all over again, I never would have chosen Columbia. I disagree that it's B and A being easy in the science pre req courses. All were ruthless. No glade inflation or fairy dust or favorable curving in my experience. The worst part of the experience was having bad professors, a ruthless environment, and the demoralizing energy that surrounded my entire experience of working my ass off and feeling really bummed about the results. I have since discouraged all friends from college to avoid Columbia during their post bac search.

My friends have liked Berkeley Extension school in Northern California for post bac pre med classes.