Relatability of Significant Research Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My research experience is mostly in materials science and specifically nanoscience, which I am assuming not too many people on the admissions committee know much about. I heard some people on this forum say that the significant research essay does not have a large impact in the admissions process but is more used to find a knowledgeable interviewer (not sure how true this is). So if my research is in materials science do you think this will hurt me in applying to MD/PhDs from there not being many material scientists on the admissions committees? I am worried that the adcoms won't be able to relate to my research at all since it not biology-related but from what I've heard about (the adcoms not caring much about the significant research essay) I may be worrying about nothing. Any insight is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying right now, so take what I say how you will.

Couple things that came to mind:
-Once you indicate MD/PhD on the AMCAS, a list of basic science fields pops up, and I've read that the ones you check are often used to find an interviewer who can talk to you about your interests. Someone please confirm/correct this.
-Even if the research in your essay is used to find an interviewer (and I'm not so sure of that, either), what can you do? You can't go back and change the subject of your research, and you still have to include it in your essay, so don't worry about things that have passed and out of your control, and use the opportunity to talk about research skills that are can be generalized across fields.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying right now, so take what I say how you will.

Couple things that came to mind:
-Once you indicate MD/PhD on the AMCAS, a list of basic science fields pops up, and I've read that the ones you check are often used to find an interviewer who can talk to you about your interests. Someone please confirm/correct this.
-Even if the research in your essay is used to find an interviewer (and I'm not so sure of that, either), what can you do? You can't go back and change the subject of your research, and you still have to include it in your essay, so don't worry about things that have passed and out of your control, and use the opportunity to talk about research skills that are can be generalized across fields.

Thanks, you bring up a good point! I guess there really isn't anything I can do. I just hope my field of research doesn't hold me back :cat:!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not uncommon; many applicants have backgrounds in engineering/physical sciences which are not well-represented in MSTP admission committees. Your goal in the significant research essay (and during interviews) is to be able to explain your research experience coherently & intelligently. This is so that the admission committee can assess whether you have the ability to be an excellent graduate student (and to some extent, that you have some idea of what you're getting into!). The topic/field of research is just the backdrop of your significant research essay in which you demonstrate your experience in designing experiments, interpreting data, and communicating your findings. This is the case for all applicants, including those with biomedical lab experience. I would not worry about "relatability" at all; just use your background to help your application stand out from the crowd.

Reactions: 1 user
How detailed did you guys go on your significant research essays? Did you talk about how you actually interpreted your data or keep is very general and just say something like "my contributions to this project were in developing, performing experiments and interpreting data"?