Relationship/time management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alien4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just recently started dating a girl and I want to be serious in school. Just wondering how difficult it would be to spend some time with a significant other who lives a few hours away. I heard stories about students not even having time to shave due to all the studying and that kind of scares me LOL

Members don't see this ad.

How much time do you plan to spend? How much time do you plan to study? Just remember school comes first. This is an opportunity to help better yourself and your future. Girls will always be there waiting for you at the finish line. And I don't mean any disrespect when I say that because it works the other way too. Some women hold off on men till they are established in their career. With that being said people have been able to do that in the past but I doubt it is recommended. Just my opinion.

Hi guys, so I just recently started dating a girl and I want to be serious in school. Just wondering how difficult it would be to spend some time with a significant other who lives a few hours away. I heard stories about students not even having time to shave due to all the studying and that kind of scares me LOL
You know, Sir William Osler thought anyone devoted to pursuing internal medicine should be "[c]ontent to labor and wait during the first 10 or 15 years of professional life," but clearly these students are able to carry on relationships despite the challenges presently faced. Since the first two years of podiatric training are very similar to that of general medical students, it would be reasonable to assume that you can really do whatever you want relationship-wise given the correct combination of commitment to/from this person, work ethic in school, and any innate brilliance. As long as the girl knows she won't see you except for an odd weekend here or there outside of your breaks and is okay with your focus being diverted elsewhere, you'll probably be fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It may be hard, but my cousin and her boyfriend have done really well the last two years. They both went to undergrad together then my cousin went to DO school in East Lansing in the Summer/Fall of 2012 and her boyfriend went to a PA school in northern Indiana at the same time. They didn't get to see each other that much, probably at least every other weekend she would go down there and then two weekends later he would go up to see her. For them that was a 2 hour drive each time. At least nowadays you have Facetime or Skype, better than nothing. Again, my cousin and her boyfriend knew what each other was going through since they were both in the medical field (PA vs. DO). There are some people where they are in a relationship with someone who is a business student and that person really does not understand how hard med school really is.

It is kinda like many parents nowadays. They sit there and think "How hard can getting into med school be?" simply because they have never gone through that process.

If you live together. Easy.

If you live in the same town. Pretty easy.

If its more than a 3o minute drive you're getting into where it gets tougher.
That will make it so you'll be wasting an hour just to get there and back which is an hour of studying or sleeping.

Long distance can work, and does for some people, but it'll of course be the hardest because you're ability to get up and make a couple hour trip will be very limited and only possible on the weekends. Then it's planning it around your weekend obligations and theirs (did last year undergrad). If it requires a lot of money in gas or airplane tickets don't forget to budget that and it'll either cost you more in loans or whatever.

Long story short:
If you both know what you're getting into, then it'll be okay.

If you live together. Easy.

If you live in the same town. Pretty easy.

If its more than a 3o minute drive you're getting into where it gets tougher.
That will make it so you'll be wasting an hour just to get there and back which is an hour of studying or sleeping.

Long distance can work, and does for some people, but it'll of course be the hardest because you're ability to get up and make a couple hour trip will be very limited and only possible on the weekends. Then it's planning it around your weekend obligations and theirs (did last year undergrad). If it requires a lot of money in gas or airplane tickets don't forget to budget that and it'll either cost you more in loans or whatever.

Long story short:
If you both know what you're getting into, then it'll be okay.
This sounds like misapplication of your undergraduate experience to something that will be in no way like undergraduate education (unless the variance between podiatry school workloads is significant, which I don't know having only been at one). If you're suggesting that living together is a walk in the park during this time, however, or that visiting each other every weekend there's not a scheduled obligation is a reasonable expectation for this person, I think you're being misleading. Considering you haven't been through the wringer yet, I would personally suggest refraining from giving advice requiring a perspective you don't yet have.

This sounds like misapplication of your undergraduate experience to something that will be in no way like undergraduate education (unless the variance between podiatry school workloads is significant, which I don't know having only been at one). If you're suggesting that living together is a walk in the park during this time, however, or that visiting each other every weekend there's not a scheduled obligation is a reasonable expectation for this person, I think you're being misleading. Considering you haven't been through the wringer yet, I would personally suggest refraining from giving advice requiring a perspective you don't yet have.

During that year, and undergrad experience in general I work 45 hours a week in a very concentration focused job. On top of 15-17 hours. So I spend about 6am to 10pm working + school M-F. I was able to do all that and still make time on weekends to travel 6 hours round trip and study while there on weekends. I'm saying that possible not that it is very easy but something you can make work. Not every weekend but the occasional.weekend is very possible, at least from what I can discern.

And living together and having a relationship is the easiest arrangement of all those. Because if you're studying school 6am to 7pm you can make time for time together. Unless you're saying you literally are studying 6am to 11pm 7 days a week, which is not what I hear from my family member who is entering his second year at podiatric medical school. He says it's like having a demanding 60-70 hour week job with a little take home on the weekend.

If you wouldn't mind possibly giving an example of what your average day looks like, it'd probably be easier to discern if it's possible for this guy do handle said relationship.

Last edited:
< redacted - no longer constructive >

Last edited: