relationships, education & lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat2029

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it horrible to want your significant other to apply to pharmacy schools instead of med schools or other graduate programs? I think the pressure of being a med student/young doctor strains couples, and unfortunately ends many relationships. Is it wrong to want to pressure someone into pharmacology especially if they're interested in neuroscience research? I think that opportunities after graduating from pharmacology schools are not just limited to working in a generic chain pharmacy, and the lifestyle for many careers linked to the field are not as demanding to couples as other medical careers. When I think about the my future life and family I think that a pharmaceutical degree might provide a healthier and happier life for a "young couple." I know my boyfriend wants a family,but sometimes I feel his thinking can be unrealistic especially concerning the next few years of our life/relationship. Most people want the American Dream with the white picket fence but I feel like for most young doctors relationships don't last...

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacology is not pharmacy. Pharmacy involves aspects of pharmacology, but includes much more clinical and critical thinking. I'd also say that breaking into research in neuroscience would also result in a large time commitment and significant stress.

And yes, it is wrong to pressure your significant other for selfish reasons. It seems like you two may need to have a long chat about where you see yourselves heading.

is it horrible to want your significant other to apply to pharmacy schools instead of med schools or other graduate programs? I think the pressure of being a med student/young doctor strains couples, and unfortunately ends many relationships. Is it wrong to want to pressure someone into pharmacology especially if they're interested in neuroscience research? I think that opportunities after graduating from pharmacology schools are not just limited to working in a generic chain pharmacy, and the lifestyle for many careers linked to the field are not as demanding to couples as other medical careers. When I think about the my future life and family I think that a pharmaceutical degree might provide a healthier and happier life for a "young couple." I know my boyfriend wants a family,but sometimes I feel his thinking can be unrealistic especially concerning the next few years of our life/relationship. Most people want the American Dream with the white picket fence but I feel like for most young doctors relationships don't last...

If it doesn't last, then it's probably a good thing to end it before marriage. Relationships don't always work out. Life is a test.

My ex-girlfriend cost me med school years ago, and to this day I wish I hadn't agreed to give it up. PLEASE, don't do this to him, he'll regret it for sure, and maybe even hate you for it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be supportive and let your significant other choose the career that is best for him/her.

yeah, not about you.
let him choose for himself and be supportive.
it's not your choice.

If its any consolation, I met my girlfriend senior year of undergrad and I was going to pharmacy school in richmond and she was going to med school in baltimore. We're now wrapping up our 2nd year and everythings great. I'm not saying its easy, but we've just been really open with each other the whole time. She went into medschool very interested in neurosurgery, which is a 10 year residency after medschool. We have talked about it extensively and where we want to be with a family and she has come to realize how much she wants a family, it it made her not want to do neurosurgery, without me having to push her in any direction.

If your boyfriend really wants a family and all that, he will realize what is too much and what is just right in med school. Medicine and a relationship is doable- you just have to find a balance. We both study our butts off during the week so that we can see each other on the weekends and not stress out.

I can see where your coming from - your heart seems to be in the right place. That being said, you are going about this the wrong way.

As the few above have stated - as a partner - its your job to support the goals of your partner, not to quiet them. I know my better half was not happy with my choice to pursue pharmacy across the country from her - She is planning how our future will be built in the future together. We are both sacrificing somethings - but not our dreams... they should never be on the chopping block.