Relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there have been quite a few threads regarding relationships going into medical school. How well do relationships go when they are picked up during medical school? Is it better, because the other partners sees them at the busiest? I've been dating a guy for about a month and we've now gone exclusive and I would really like for this to last. So far, it seems he is far busier than me. He is not a medical student and is finishing up undergrad while working full time. It seems he is fine seeing me only 1-3x a week and I've been working hard to be focused with my studying so I have more free time to give. Has anyone had positive experiences with relationships during medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of girls at school who choose to only see their boyfriend on weekends and they are happy. I've never had a problems finding time for my boyfriend nor has he for me... as an MS2 and MS3 we see each other everyday except when he is on call.

I think you've chosen a time-consuming career and if that weeds out the needy or controlling people I'm all for it!

There have been a number of married couples who met at our medical school. It's always helpful I think when you're with someone who has a real understanding of your lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a long-distance relationship during all 4 years of medical school. Now, she's my wife! We dated for a few years during college, so we had to make a transition into the long-distance setting. It wasn't easy, especially since this was the day before unlimited calling and Skype!

It's a relationship, just like any other. Communicate and respect each other, and you should be okay. There are a number of people in my class with SOs outside of med school. There is a third year who met her fiance less than a year ago, and he's not a medical student; they essentially dated during her third year, which is amazing to me. It might even be a good thing that your boyfriend is so busy, because it gives you time to study to your satisfaction and fit in some me-time, too. Best of luck!

From my perspective relationships with people other than classmates are far better than those with classmates. If I had to see the person all day at school and also in my free time I would probably get tired of them right away. Someone who is just as busy as you are is a good thing too because you won't feel pressured to skip as much studying to spend time with them. My girlfriend is long distance and it works out great for me because I can be very devoted to school and my other activities but then we visit each other every month or so for a weekend during which I do nothing school related.

I don't think that there should be any reason for a relationship to fail if the other person has an understanding of the time commitment that your career will entail and your significant other is fairly independent himself.

My husband is both of these and I've actually think it's easier to be in a relationship in medical school than to not be in one. I have a great support system and someone to help me out with stuff around the house.

My single friends are always complaining about how hard it is to meet guys.