Relocation help, need financial advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalwoes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been fortunate to get accepted to dental school this cycle in my home state, it's about 4 hours away, but I've run into some problems.
My parents told me they'd take care of everything for me financially (as far as getting a car, paying 1st months rent until financial aid kicks in, and buying me my scrubs and some startup materials). Earlier on in the year, we were doing better, but as it stands now my parents don't have the capacity to do any of these things (we're kinda paycheck to paycheck at the moment). I have about $2000 left over from scholarship money after paying my admissions deposit and I just got a credit card (I.e. I have no credit) for about $800.
It would hurt my parents in ways I couldn't describe if I had gotten a job during undergrad (I tried but they wouldn't budge) and now that I'm graduating in a few days I can get one, but idk of a place that'll hire for less than 3 months and will allow me time off to go and find an apartment.
I'm not bashing my parents, I just need to know my options. I don't mind sleeping on my old air mattress until I can get some decent furniture, I just need a car and to rent an apartment (isn't it usually 1st months rent+last months rent+ security deposit?).
Part of me wants to just listen to my parents when they say not to worry and that everything will be okay, but I also know that they just have nothing else to say, and I don't want to push them. I know how badly they wanted to send me off with everything I'd need and new everything but, unfortunately it can't happen now. I especially need to get a move on in finding an apartment. Classes start the first week of August!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also looking for some pocket money to spend this summer, and I suggest checking out Craigslist OR sticking around your university and offering private tutoring services! Depending on the area you live in, you can make around $15-40 an hour (not joking, I tutored a high schooler in AP Chemistry and AP US History for $40 an hour...). It's very flexible and you can work as much (or as little) as you'd like.

Advertise your services on Craigslist, Facebook, whatever. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also looking for some pocket money to spend this summer, and I suggest checking out Craigslist OR sticking around your university and offering private tutoring services! Depending on the area you live in, you can make around $15-40 an hour (not joking, I tutored a high schooler in AP Chemistry and AP US History for $40 an hour...). It's very flexible and you can work as much (or as little) as you'd like.

Advertise your services on Craigslist, Facebook, whatever. Good luck!
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to find a job that has a high turnover rate. Call centers or sales come to mind. Not the best, but you only need it for a few months. Don't talk about dental school in interviews. I know it will feel strange not mentioning it, but you also need to take care of yourself and make sure you have the funds to start school.

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

If you are getting housing near the school, it's likely they are used to working with students on loans. At my last apartment for grad school, the company who owed it allowed me to show them a form from my school's FA office saying that my loan will be refunded back to me X date and I would therefore pay my rent on Y date. I know a few places by my undergrad who also did this. I would look into it if you are moving in right before classes start. Obviously if you have plans to go early then they might not be as willing.

Otherwise, I would start working ASAP. I'll be applying for summer jobs and I'm not saying that I'm leaving for dental school. Tutoring is a possibility if you are near a university but will be more difficult if you are looking for high schoolers because they will be on summer break too.

Reactions: 1 user