REM sleep research theory? Reading underside of eyelids during REM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepTheory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Essentially when we close our eyes we never stop 'seeing'. We are just looking at the underside of our eyelids(although they usually keep the light out so well we get the sensation of no longer seeing). Is there any research in the theory that during REM, the mind is 'reading' or scanning something that shows up on the underside of the eyelids either real or imagined by the brain? Kind of like a film camera reading frames or a computer reading ones and zeroes and constructing something larger from it.

In other words, maybe there's something the brain 'sees' during REM relating to the underside of the eyelids or the fluctuation in light or maybe something is projected. I wonder what would happen if you disrupted the 'look' of the underside of the eyelids or introduced different light patterns from the outside onto the exterior of the eyelids during a sleep test.

Sorry for the crazy idea, didn't know who to ask :oops:

-ST

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any research in the theory that during REM, the mind is 'reading' or scanning something that shows up on the underside of the eyelids either real or imagined by the brain?
-ST

No.

Most of dream activity is internally generated by the brain. I believe (not too familiar with the research) that current envirnonmental activities can have some influence on dreams, but I don't think it has anything to do with the eyelids.

Not really related, but weird and interesting enough to post -- I read somewhere about people with attentional neglect syndromes who have I believe ipsilateral activation in the brain during REM sleep...let me go see if I can find it...

Okay, it may be this:
Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1993 Sep;87(3):105-16.
Disturbances of the rapid eye movements (REMs) of REM sleep in patients with unilateral attentional neglect: clue for the understanding of the functional meaning of REMs.

Doricchi F, Guariglia C, Paolucci S, Pizzamiglio L.

"Results are discussed in terms of their implications for the understanding of the neurophysiological basis of REM sleep oculomotor activity and dream production, as well as for the neurophysiopathological basis of the neglect syndrome. It is proposed that REMs are functionally equivalent to waking reflex orienting saccades generated by a neural network including the relevant modulatory action of the parietal lobes and the superior colliculi."