Removing someone as an eLOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwenevre

Pre-Nursing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there proper etiquette for asking someone (who hasn't written your eLOR yet) to no longer be a reference? I have gained a number of contacts this summer that I want to ask for recommendations from, so I'm having to change my eLOR list from last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there proper etiquette for asking someone (who hasn't written your eLOR yet) to no longer be a reference? I have gained a number of contacts this summer that I want to ask for recommendations from, so I'm having to change my eLOR list from last year.
Why not just remove them or not ask them for a letter this year?

When you say "this summer," do you mean you JUST met these contacts in May/June?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say "this summer," do you mean you JUST met these contacts in May/June?
In May, and I have been working VERY closely with these contacts through 40+ hours of work each week.

did you already give him the link or whatever for VMCAS?
I added him on my VMCAS, so I'm guessing he got the e-mail, but according to the portal, he hasn't written a letter yet. I've just been thinking about who else I am going to ask, and with a cap of six I have to pick and choose.

I added him on my VMCAS, so I'm guessing he got the e-mail, but according to the portal, he hasn't written a letter yet. I've just been thinking about who else I am going to ask, and with a cap of six I have to pick and choose.
I mean, I feel like at this point, it might be better to keep him. It's kind of a social faux pas to rescind that unless you have that kind of relationship with him. I can't remember if you have the ability to remove them as an eLOR on your end since it's been a while but if you can't and he decides to be a jerk, you could end up in a worse situation.

Reactions: 1 user
VMCAS has a cap of six, but all of the schools that I applied to asked you to select only three to be read. So maybe you can ask everyone, then decide which letters you want read by each school.

Reactions: 1 users
In May, and I have been working VERY closely with these contacts through 40+ hours of work each week.
My personal opinion is not to use these new contacts. In my file reviews, 4/5 schools said they dislike letters that come from vets who you have known for less than one year, so you should ask your school what they think. While it may be full time, one month does not really give a vet enough material to write you a glowing review. Having 6/6 possible letters is not going to give you any additional points over someone who only has 3. You should be able to pick 3 writers who will give you the full "points" for the letters section of your application. Like mentioned, some schools will not accept MORE than three, even though VMCAS does.

If you have known your original reference for several years, I would definitely pick that person over someone you have known for a month.

I mean, I feel like at this point, it might be better to keep him. It's kind of a social faux pas to rescind that unless you have that kind of relationship with him. I can't remember if you have the ability to remove them as an eLOR on your end since it's been a while but if you can't and he decides to be a jerk, you could end up in a worse situation.
It looks like you can delete evaluators this year. It doesn't specify whether or not you can do that after they have submitted, however.

If you have known your original reference for several years, I would definitely pick that person over someone you have known for a month.

Ok, just want to point out one thing first. May to September is longer than one month. That is nearly 4 months depending on when in May the person started working. And possibly 5 months if the recommendation writer waits until October to submit the letter.

Now, having said that. The broad generalization above is not necessarily true. It really, really depends upon your relationship with the person. You can know someone for years and have a decent relationship (maybe you only worked with them during school breaks, but have known them all through undergrad). You work well with that vet, they appreciate your work and recognize you work well and that is it. Or you can know someone for just a few months and really connect with them. Maybe that vet is more outgoing, maybe that vet has decided to "take you under their wing" and really invest in your learning/future. While time is an important factor, it is not the most important factor. The most important factor is who do you have a stronger relationship with that will write you a stronger recommendation for vet school.

It looks like you can delete evaluators this year. It doesn't specify whether or not you can do that after they have submitted, however.

I thought VMCAS always had the option of deleting a LOR up until that person has signed into the system. Once the LOR writer had signed in or started then you were no longer allowed to delete them.

Adding another piece of anecdotal data - my vet LOR was from a vet I'd known for 3-4 months. I got to know her pretty well, and my other LORs were from people (work supervisor and wildlife rehabber) who had known me for years, and I didn't have an issue. Another vote for talking directly to the schools you are interested in - fortunately or unfortunately, schools are very different in their preferences.

Ok, just want to point out one thing first. May to September is longer than one month. That is nearly 4 months depending on when in May the person started working. And possibly 5 months if the recommendation writer waits until October to submit the letter.

Now, having said that. The broad generalization above is not necessarily true. It really, really depends upon your relationship with the person. You can know someone for years and have a decent relationship (maybe you only worked with them during school breaks, but have known them all through undergrad). You work well with that vet, they appreciate your work and recognize you work well and that is it. Or you can know someone for just a few months and really connect with them. Maybe that vet is more outgoing, maybe that vet has decided to "take you under their wing" and really invest in your learning/future. While time is an important factor, it is not the most important factor. The most important factor is who do you have a stronger relationship with that will write you a stronger recommendation for vet school.

You don't know what will happen from now until September, which would make me even less likely to kick out someone who ha already agreed to write me a letter in favor for someone I've known for a month or two. It doesn't seem that the OP has even asked these new contacts if they would be willing to write a letter yet, so that is the first problem anyways. You don't know that the new contact won't say "Gee, I don't feel like I can write you an outstanding letter." It doesn't mean they dislike you. Like I said, many schools won't appreciate letters from new contacts. Talk to your schools and see what they prefer, because they are where the buck stops.

Also, take note where I state that it's my opinion based off of personal experience. You make your decisions for YOUR application, regardless of what I suggest or what other posters suggest.

Adding another piece of anecdotal data - my vet LOR was from a vet I'd known for 3-4 months. I got to know her pretty well, and my other LORs were from people (work supervisor and wildlife rehabber) who had known me for years, and I didn't have an issue. Another vote for talking directly to the schools you are interested in - fortunately or unfortunately, schools are very different in their preferences.
Yes, schools are very different. I used a vet I had known for 6 months by the time October 2nd of last year came around. Great letter, great review, but "she just didn't know me long enough." Straight from a file review.

I thought VMCAS always had the option of deleting a LOR up until that person has signed into the system. Once the LOR writer had signed in or started then you were no longer allowed to delete them.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I haven't had to try and delete someone after they already submitted, but the instructions say you can add and delete as you please until they submit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't initial evaluator additions permanent?

You don't know what will happen from now until September, which would make me even less likely to kick out someone who ha already agreed to write me a letter in favor for someone I've known for a month or two. It doesn't seem that the OP has even asked these new contacts if they would be willing to write a letter yet, so that is the first problem anyways. You don't know that the new contact won't say "Gee, I don't feel like I can write you an outstanding letter." It doesn't mean they dislike you. Like I said, many schools won't appreciate letters from new contacts. Talk to your schools and see what they prefer, because they are where the buck stops.

Also, take note where I state that it's my opinion based off of personal experience. You make your decisions for YOUR application, regardless of what I suggest or what other posters suggest.

I am just adding in perspective and breaking up the generalization that you made. As well as pointing out that May to September is longer than 1 month (longer than 2 months as well). No need to get snippy.

You may be very well right that the longer time of knowing someone would be better for the OP, but we don't know all of the details. That is why I worded it the way I did. Longer time could be better if the relationship is strong, but you can still have a strong relationship with someone you have known for only 5 months and a weak or ok relationship with someone you have known for years. That is now up to the OP to decide where their personal relationships with each potential eLOR falls into place.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I haven't had to try and delete someone after they already submitted, but the instructions say you can add and delete as you please until they submit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't initial evaluator additions permanent?

:shrug:

I applied a few years ago now and if I remember correctly, once you added the person to the eLOR system they were sent an email with how to log in. Once they logged in and started working, you could no longer delete. I don't know if that has changed or not since I applied. This is a good question to call up VMCAS and get the word straight from them.

I am just adding in perspective and breaking up the generalization that you made. As well as pointing out that May to September is longer than 1 month (longer than 2 months as well). No need to get snippy.

You may be very well right that the longer time of knowing someone would be better for the OP, but we don't know all of the details. That is why I worded it the way I did. Longer time could be better if the relationship is strong, but you can still have a strong relationship with someone you have known for only 5 months and a weak or ok relationship with someone you have known for years. That is now up to the OP to decide where their personal relationships with each potential eLOR falls into place.

:shrug:

I applied a few years ago now and if I remember correctly, once you added the person to the eLOR system they were sent an email with how to log in. Once they logged in and started working, you could no longer delete. I don't know if that has changed or not since I applied. This is a good question to call up VMCAS and get the word straight from them.

Not trying to get snippy, just emphasizing that my personal experience might be totally off-base for the OP's chosen schools anyways.

And I think that is correct...?

"Any reference which is listed as “New” can be deleted and replaced. Under certain circumstances a reference listed as “In Progress” can be deleted. To have an “In Progress” reference removed, please contact VMCAS."

So it looks like once their login info is emailed out, they have to be deleted by VMCAS.

Not trying to get snippy, just emphasizing that my personal experience might be totally off-base for the OP's chosen schools anyways.

And I think that is correct...?

"Any reference which is listed as “New” can be deleted and replaced. Under certain circumstances a reference listed as “In Progress” can be deleted. To have an “In Progress” reference removed, please contact VMCAS."

So it looks like once their login info is emailed out, they have to be deleted by VMCAS.

Seems like it is the same as when I applied. Don't think VMCAS has changed too much since then... just the whole verification of transcripts, otherwise I think everything is still the same.

Which is a very good thing for those who have to pay for transcripts!

OP, if I were you, I would just not say anything to the person. They may forget. I would never risk burning a bridge at this point! And, honestly, if you have more than five people you plan to ask, you are waisting their time and the admissions boards' time. Ask, 2-3 more people for strong letters and leave it at that. Identify those that you feel are behind your goal of going to vet school and can articulate well about your candidacy. Those will be your best letters/evals.