Reneging (Declining/Going Back) On Match Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a long time follower of SDN but am finally compelled to post.

I recently got a position through the Match; however, it was my last ranked position.

I am seriously considering declining my offer.
  • The site isn't prestigious enough
  • I feel like I should have been ranked higher by the other sites I've interviewed at

I have heard of a friend's friend who is currently contemplating the same. She is currently "negotiating" with the site to decline. They have told her not to tell anyone where the site is.

Sounds fishy to me. Wouldn't the particular site want to find someone through the scramble right away rather than "negotiating" with her?

What fallout can I anticipate if I DO reneg on the offer? I know I will be blacklisted from the site I matched at...

Members don't see this ad.

there is no "declining," it's called "breach of contract."

also, that site may have an internal candidate that did not match and so they'll keep the whole ordeal "in house."

you have more to lose than gain if you decline the spot.

KARM! spacecowgirl! where are y'all!

there is no "declining," it's called "breach of contract."

I understand it's a violation.

But I'm sure it's happened before in the existence of residencies.

Just would like an idea of all the possible consequences.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Until our more seasoned/esteemed members come on board (hey, it's saturday night, and they like to party), i'll offer my opinions:

1) site goes ape **** nuclear on you -- reports you to ASHP, match, director tells all his friends and they tell 2 friends, etc...

consequence: re-entering match is not a possibility, scrambling may work depending how far news spread, finding a job is still a possibility depending on how far news spread, etc...

bright side: assuming you have your foot on another opportunity already, you'll be employed just fine. it beats quitting midway through the residency, which is worse; but completing the residency in a half-assed way is possibly better than being branded a quitter.

2) site is willing to "negotiate." -- unfortunately, once you broach the subject, you're past the point of no return and if the program goes option 1 on you, that really sucks.

why the hell would you rank a place you don't want to be at? You're taking a spot away from someone who may have really wanted to match there. If you did that at my institution..... :thumbdown:

Just sayin'...

why the hell would you rank a place you don't want to be at? You're taking a spot away from someone who may have really wanted to match there. If you did that at my institution..... :thumbdown:

Just sayin'...

i thought the same, but what's done is done, this has no real easy answer. I had friends that matched to places they were iffy about ranking...but once those rank stats came out, they got happy reeeeal quick.

The program isn't prestigious enough for you? You fee like you should have been ranked higher? Well none of that is true because it didn't happen. You did not wow the other programs. They didn't like you enough to rank you higher.

If you decline after the match, you will be black listed from participating in the match in the future and wouldn't be able to get a residency next year.

Don't do it...suck it up and go... you made the choice to rank the site...knowing you could end up there.

:corny: Obviously, you have not lurked here that long!

As others said, you ranked the site, now you should live with the consequences. I don't think the reasons you provided are good enough reasons to back out of the match, as backing out will not get you into a more prestigious residency, since you will never be able to get a residency ever again. You should also consider yourself lucky that you matched, as there are lots of people this year that were qualified applicants that did not.

As someone who didn't match, this post pretty much pisses me off.

But anyway...you were lucky enough to get a residency, you should go and make the best of the year. If you really didn't want to be there, you shouldn't have ranked it. And since you did end up matching there, it is obviously your best option moving forward at this point. Don't back out.

The program isn't prestigious enough for you? You fee like you should have been ranked higher? Well none of that is true because it didn't happen. You did not wow the other programs. They didn't like you enough to rank you higher.

If you decline after the match, you will be black listed from participating in the match in the future and wouldn't be able to get a residency next year.

Don't do it...suck it up and go... you made the choice to rank the site...knowing you could end up there.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Your choices are take the Match or ruin your career. Choose wisely.

This. If you back out of your spot now, you won't be able to do an accredited residency unless you prove some hardship is the reason you can't fulfill your end of the contract. Thinking you're awesome and not matching to places good enough for you is not hardship. There are several potential reasons you ended up at your last choice, including that the match is extremely competitive and you just weren't one of the lucky ones to get your first choices. It could also be that your app isn't as amazing as you think or you didn't interview well. either way, you should consider yourself lucky to have matched and going to the site is probably better than the alternative. Its been said a million times, but pharmacy is a very small world. It could be very hard to get a hospital position after breaking the contract, especially at places in that area and at hospitals many would consider prestigious.

From the Match agreement:
"I understand that the ASHP possesses beneficiary standing to enforce this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules will be reported to the ASHP. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules, such as refusing to accept a position at the program with which I have been matched, the ASHP may pursue all available remedies, including reporting my actions to my school. Furthermore, the ASHP may impose penalties on me, including barring me from participation in future ASHP Resident Matching Programs."

http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/applagmt.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
[*]The site isn't prestigious enough
[*]I feel like I should have been ranked higher by the other sites I've interviewed at
[/LIST]

You overestimated yourself...competition was fierce this year...

I recently got a position through the Match; however, it was my last ranked position.

I can understand this. I matched to my last ranked program. I was discouraged. But (and this is a huge BUT) I accepted the responsibility for ranking them. If I did not want to go there I should not have ranked them. Period. Realize that if you rank a program last, regardless of all the statistics, there is still the possibility of matching. I went through my notes and impressions from my interview at this site and overall it was positive. I was reminded of why I ranked them in the first place. I realize also it was a competitive year, and there are people here I cannot believe didn't match. I feel very fortunate and will work my tail off as a resident.

If you are someone driven by prestige or top tier rankings or are going to whine about not being ranked higher, than you have bigger problems. Go into a profession where that actually matters. Perhaps your other sites saw this dramatic character flaw and that's why you weren't ranked as high. I can only hope you don't have very many co-residents because it is going to be a long year for them.

You jerk. I cried for 3 nights for not matching.

What I would give to match to a residency... =(

I've been a long time follower of SDN but am finally compelled to post.

I am seriously considering declining my offer.
  • The site isn't prestigious enough
  • I feel like I should have been ranked higher by the other sites I've interviewed at

I have heard of a friend's friend who is currently contemplating the same. She is currently "negotiating" with the site to decline. They have told her not to tell anyone where the site is.

Sounds fishy to me. Wouldn't the particular site want to find someone through the scramble right away rather than "negotiating" with her?

What fallout can I anticipate if I DO reneg on the offer? I know I will be blacklisted from the site I matched at...
F you dude. Why the hell did you interview AND RANK there if you didn't think it was prestigious enough? You're probably a troll based on reg date, or if not, obviously not mature enough for residency. Please feel free to post your stats and let us determine how good of a candidate you are.

If you do quit, at least refer SDN people who didn't match into your position, i'm sure they'd LOVE to have your crappy residency...

F you dude. Why the hell did you interview AND RANK there if you didn't think it was prestigious enough? You're probably a troll based on reg date, or if not, obviously not mature enough for residency. Please feel free to post your stats and let us determine how good of a candidate you are.

If you do quit, at least refer SDN people who didn't match into your position, i'm sure they'd LOVE to have your crappy residency...

Maybe he went into the residency interviews a pompous a-hole and the res directors said, "Oh, hell no!"

OP, you better suck it up bro! Cuz if you bail....... :thumbdown:

Meanwhile, we've got some great SDN regulars who clearly deserved to match over you....you know, cuz they actually care about pharmacy practice/patient care, not their ego.

Hate to steal the thread, but I'm facing a similar decision but with different circumstances.

I went through with the match and matched to a great program...even though there were a lot of things going on in my personal life. I'll avoid specifics but let's just say I've sadly had to become head of household in a very short time. I live in a metro area where even staffing jobs are hard to come by w/o hospital experience (isn't that all metros, haha). Retail was on a hiring freeze. I decided that it was better to have a job for a year instead of being jobless for several months.

The problem now is that family responsibilities are starting to creep up (MD visits, grocery runs, etc). I'm not sure if I can juggle the work-life balance in the near future. I told my residency coordinator that my family had been fine with me pursuing residency or fellowship, but it's looking more like I won't have time to do both.

I'm leaning on just pushing through because I'm worried about the repercussions of the breach of contract and the lack of alternatives. Thoughts?

Hate to steal the thread, but I'm facing a similar decision but with different circumstances.

I went through with the match and matched to a great program...even though there were a lot of things going on in my personal life. I'll avoid specifics but let's just say I've sadly had to become head of household in a very short time. I live in a metro area where even staffing jobs are hard to come by w/o hospital experience (isn't that all metros, haha). Retail was on a hiring freeze. I decided that it was better to have a job for a year instead of being jobless for several months.

The problem now is that family responsibilities are starting to creep up (MD visits, grocery runs, etc). I'm not sure if I can juggle the work-life balance in the near future. I told my residency coordinator that my family had been fine with me pursuing residency or fellowship, but it's looking more like I won't have time to do both.

I'm leaning on just pushing through because I'm worried about the repercussions of the breach of contract and the lack of alternatives. Thoughts?

If you have no other job lined up what would you do? I'd say you shouldn't be worried too much about the breach of contract if you truly have a family crisis.. worst case scenario one program hates on you and maybe some other people who they tell but you could always explain your situation to a future employer.

Call the program director at the hospital where you matched and explain the situation. This is obviously something extraordinary, and most programs will be flexible for something like this. Maybe they'll lower your staffing requirements or give you a lesser project load or allow you extra time to finish the residency. I know of hospitals that allowed residents to take a leave absence to care for seriously ill family members, so it's worth a shot.

And as Avelox said, turning down a match because of an unforeseen family situation is easier to explain to future employers than turning down a match because you didn't get your 1st choice. :) Good luck! :luck:

Alternatives? We're stretched on finances as I mentioned before so I even interviewed for a part-time graveyard weekend job (only "free" time in the schedule, I'm crazy) at a closed door pharmacy nearby. There's potential to work more shifts, but it was a casual non-commital interview and where would I find the time. A resident's salary is barely enough, but a pharmacist's salary would relieve a lot of financial pressure. It's times like these when you realize what your goals in life are.

In that case, what I'll do is call/meet with my program director sometime next week to see what can be done. I didn't realize there was precedence for flex. I appreciate the advice and compassion. It's been tough.

Last edited:
Alternatives? We're stretched on finances as I mentioned before so I even interviewed for a part-time graveyard weekend job (only "free" time in the schedule, I'm crazy) at a closed door pharmacy nearby. There's potential to work more shifts, but it was a casual non-commital interview and where would I find the time. A resident's salary is barely enough, but a pharmacist's salary would relieve a lot of financial pressure. It's times like these when you realize what your goals in life are.

In that case, what I'll do is call/meet with my program director sometime next week to see what can be done. I didn't realize there was precedence for flex. I appreciate the advice and compassion. It's been tough.

So true....Just hang in there and do your best...Even if they are not flexible enough, you could find a pharmacist job and then do a residency later.. Do what is best for you and your family..

Wonder what happened to the OP? I PM'd them before this little firestorm happened and haven't heard back.