Renewing unused state medical licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guillemot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a state medical license that is due to expire at the end of the year. Renewal fee is $450.

Currently doing locums and have 2 other state licenses.

Really, have no desire to ever return to the state even on a locums basis, and renewal is expensive. Any reason why I should maintain a license there?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a state medical license that is due to expire at the end of the year. Renewal fee is $450.

Really, have no desire to ever return to the state even on a locums basis, and renewal is expensive. Any reason why I should maintain a license there?
Unless your employer is willing to pay for it, let it go. I have multiple state licenses that I never renewed. Not sure how hard it would be or how different the process would be if applying as a new applicant.

Can you make it inactive status?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what you do. Then resurrect that bad boy if/when you need to.
What are the practical differences (if any) between:
1. Reactivating an inactive license.
2. Applying as a new applicant.
3. Simply letting your license "expire" ignoring/not renewing and subsequently trying to reactivate?

In the past (before moca). States Iike California required you to take “entrance exams” if you were more than 10 years out of residency or ur boards. So that served as deterrent to new applicants applying who were more than 10 years out. So once someone was granted a California medical license. You kept paying be active renewal even not practicing in the state. Because it would be a pain to re apply for a California license since more than 10 years out of residency and no moca required.

Just a tidbit for those younger on this forum.

But with moca, you can get California license anytime.

So let it expire and save ur money.

California was also sneaky. Even if u put it on inactive status. To re activate it. You would need to repay all the renewals you would have missed!! So it was better to just keep paying. Lol

California is so bad. Of course it may have changed. I haven’t checked how California does their renewals. I keep paying every 2 years even not practicing in that state.

The big 3. California Texas and Florida. If you have one of those states. Just keep paying like I do. Probably wasting money but they are just huge states where if you are in a jam with work u can get work quickly due to the size of those states

Reactions: 1 users
In the past (before moca). States Iike California required you to take “entrance exams” if you were more than 10 years out of residency or ur boards. So that served as deterrent to new applicants applying who were more than 10 years out. So once someone was granted a California medical license. You kept paying be active renewal even not practicing in the state. Because it would be a pain to re apply for a California license since more than 10 years out of residency and no moca required.

Just a tidbit for those younger on this forum.

But with moca, you can get California license anytime.

So let it expire and save ur money.

California was also sneaky. Even if u put it on inactive status. To re activate it. You would need to repay all the renewals you would have missed!! So it was better to just keep paying. Lol

California is so bad. Of course it may have changed. I haven’t checked how California does their renewals. I keep paying every 2 years even not practicing in that state.

The big 3. California Texas and Florida. If you have one of those states. Just keep paying like I do. Probably wasting money but they are just huge states where if you are in a jam with work u can get work quickly due to the size of those states
The CA medical board is proposing a huge fee increase too. Bleh:

lawmakers want to boost the license renewal fee to $1,289 every two years, up from $863 currently.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I had locums companies I've never heard of contact me with a weird pickup line of "I see you have a bunch of licenses, and I wanted to find out if you're doing locums or if you'd be interested in locums." I've had several licenses for years, and I just started letting them expire in 2022.

I've held on to CA even though I never worked there. (A job I applied to in fellowship made me start the application before looking at me, then they didn't interview me; I was mad). It was such a pain to get. I'm letting more expire.

The only thing is keeping a list of them because some places require a list of all licenses ever held. One hospital where I'm getting credentialed again asks for reasons for each license non-renewal.