This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportschickaza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how vmcas uses repreated courses when calculating gpa? Like do they average the grades together or do they take the highest grade or does it depend on which school you apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

If by school do you know which schools take your highest grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is by school and your best bet is to go on to their admissions page and look them up for the schools you are interested in
^Yup. If you do not have very many makeup courses (I.e. like 1 or 2) then it usually will affect your cumGPA minimally regardless of how they do it since you have so many credits. However, if they are in pre-req or science courses or if you have many repeated courses, you may want to look into the schools you are attending on applying to like dyachei suggested. You will also usually find what GPA calculations they use for admissions.

^Yup. If you do not have very many makeup courses (I.e. like 1 or 2) then it usually will affect your cumGPA minimally regardless of how they do it since you have so many credits. However, if they are in pre-req or science courses or if you have many repeated courses, you may want to look into the schools you are attending on applying to like dyachei suggested. You will also usually find what GPA calculations they use for admissions.
But it may/may not make the OP eligible for consideration, especially if grades are replaced.

Also, if you have any failed courses, be careful about schools that average. If the average of your two attempts still isn't above the usual 2.0/C- cutoff, you will not qualify for admission to that school. I never really realized that, but it happened to a friend this cycle :(

But it may/may not make the OP eligible for consideration, especially if grades are replaced.

Also, if you have any failed courses, be careful about schools that average. If the average of your two attempts still isn't above the usual 2.0/C- cutoff, you will not qualify for admission to that school. I never really realized that, but it happened to a friend this cycle :(
Good catch, I forgot to mention about the cutoff. This is a very good point to consider.