Repeated courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook classes in community college and before I transfered to a four year school. My first college (Community College of Rhode Island) has academic forgiveness but it I unlimited. What should I put under the mount of credits the class was if I didn't receive credit until the last time I took it? The records office at CCRI says that I should put zero credits in the blank and three for the final grade. Is this right?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a copy of your transcript from the community college and that's what you put on AMCAS. If it lists that you took a course twice, you need to list that course twice on AMCAS, and I'm pretty sure there's a box to check that says "retake" or "repeat" or something like that. It doesn't matter that your community college has academic forgiveness because AMCAS does not.

Read the AMCAS Instruction Manual. It answers 99% of questions that people have about AMCAS. You can find it here. I've quoted some pertinent things below:

"AMCAS counts all attempts of a repeated course, even if your school does not."

"If your school has an academic forgiveness policy and subsequently replaces the original grade received with a special transcript symbol, the original grade and attempted credits must be entered on your AMCAS application, regardless of whether they appear on your official transcript. If the original grade is not entered, AMCAS will return your application to you to enter the original grade, which may cause you to miss application deadlines and forfeit fees. "

"When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled at any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes, but is not limited to: All attempts at courses that have been repeated, which includes any courses removed from your transcript or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy or institutional forgiveness policies. "

"If no grade appears on your transcript and you have not received a grade, a grade entry is not required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies. For the initial attempt of a course that has been repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies, enter the original grade earned before the course was repeated, regardless of whether it appears on the official transcript or is included in your GPA. Failure to enter the original grade received for repeated courses can lead to returned applications, missed deadlines, and forfeited fees. "

Reactions: 1 users