Repeated MS1 and MS3 at osteopathic schools for professionalism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matroshaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon members,

I am looking for some opinions. I have a long history of unprofessional history at an osteopathic school. I had to repeat first year because I failed class and now I am having to repeat 3rd year for blowing off a didactics series of classes provided mandated by the school. I always showed up late, didn't turn in assignments, and frankly did not care for it because it never helped me for boards. My COMLEX 1 score was 520 on first try.

Now I am suspended with possibility to appeal in 6 months and if readmitted, I will have to repeat 3rd year. It is important to mention that I did not fail any of my clerkships and never had any conditional passes. I have to admit, I have behavioral problems. The school did not dismiss me all the way because they let me get evaluated for panic d/o and ADHD for which I am seeing a therapist for.

I am aiming to achieve two things in my medical career. Graduate from medical school and get any residency spot possible. I am planning on taking the USMLEs series and COMLEX 2. I am doing clinical research and really want to get my life back together.

My question is what are the chances of me matching for a transitional year (would be happy to get that) or get an IM or Neuro residency? How can I explain two red flags on my transcript in the best possible light if I were to get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not that it would negate professionalism issues, but how high is a 520 on COMLEX? Ballpark equivalent in USMLE terms?

I would guess that the best way to explain unprofessional behavior is to get letters that describe your improvement and above-and-beyond professionalism in the recent past.

Dude you did mandatory BS lectures all wrong

you're supposed to sign in and leave, not just not show up. Gotta hit up that sign in sheet, that's how I've delt with all the mandatory crap of third year

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

you're supposed to sign in and leave, not just not show up. Gotta hit up that sign in sheet, that's how I've delt with all the mandatory crap of third year
or show up and backrow/headphones that mess

Reactions: 1 user
and don't use your real photo/name on here....bad mojo

Reactions: 1 users
Not that it would negate professionalism issues, but how high is a 520 on COMLEX? Ballpark equivalent in USMLE terms?

I would guess that the best way to explain unprofessional behavior is to get letters that describe your improvement and above-and-beyond professionalism in the recent past.

This is probably the closest conversion I've found on SDN:
500 = 220 (even though 500 is very close to average, 220 is decently below current USMLE average, which should actually be consistent due to an assumed overall lower performance on the USMLE by DOs)
600 = 230
700 = 240+
800 = 260

and don't use your real photo/name on here....bad mojo

And even let us know where he is. Oh well, guess privacy doesn't matter to some ppl.

Reactions: 1 users

Or just sign in and stay? I guess it might be different at larger schools, but at my school the clerkship directors already know us by face and name and we haven't even started clerkships yet. Pretty sure they would know if one of us signed in and left even if they didn't catch us in the act.

Beyond that, let me enjoy my high horse and scold you for being unprofessional even though you didn't get caught ;).

Or just sign in and stay? I guess it might be different at larger schools, but at my school the clerkship directors already know us by face and name and we haven't even started clerkships yet. Pretty sure they would know if one of us signed in and left even if they didn't catch us in the act.

Beyond that, let me enjoy my high horse and scold you for being unprofessional even though you didn't get caught ;).

Sneaking out when people know you is an art

you have to be a conference ninja

This is probably the closest conversion I've found on SDN:
500 = 220 (even though 500 is very close to average, 220 is decently below current USMLE average, which should actually be consistent due to an assumed overall lower performance on the USMLE by DOs)
600 = 230
700 = 240+
800 = 260

And even let us know where he is. Oh well, guess privacy doesn't matter to some ppl.
Good call. Just made the changes.

520 is exactly at national average. I am studying for the allopathic exams-USMLEs- and I am guaranteed to do better. The OMM-Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine-brought my score down, but that is not gonna be the USMLEs thankfully.

The letters are gonna be there. You have no idea the effort I am putting in to get these things done right. Gotta thank you and everyone else for the replies!

Wait, stop. You have red flags. Not to rain on your parade, but you have issues that WILL hurt you.