All Branch Topic (ABT) Reporting USMLE as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasdaines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do well on the COMLEX and subpar on the USMLE, am I required to report my USMLE to Military residencies or can I leave it off my application?

I scored above average on the COMSAE that I took through my school a couple weeks ago, but haven't done very well on the NBMEs that I have taken and my exam dates are just around the corner. I can't decide if I should drop the USMLE, or take it and only report my score if I do alright on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that trying to hide a poor score will go well for you. It's a tough decision to take the USMLE or not. But if you do take it, do poorly, and then not report it I think it will make you look shady. I could be wrong on that but doubt I am. Good luck.

Well, if you take it, and do poorly, how does the mil even know you took it? You're a DO, most DOs don't take the USMLE, so they may not even think to query NBME (if they can even release your scores or the fact that you took the exam without your permission), and just accept your COMLEX copies from NBOME.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gone through the residency application process, so I don't know how it works. From what I've been told, there's not even really a place for DOs to report the USMLE. There is a spot for board scores and as a DO, we are required to list the COMLEX for obvious reasons. I would like to take the USMLE to keep doors open, but I would hate a poor USMLE to overshadow a good COMLEX. I'm in the top 25% of my class at the moment but they only gave us 3-4 weeks of dedicated board prep and I'm feeling the crunch.

It would be one less thing to worry about not having to report the USMLE if I ended up doing bad. It's not so much a matter of dishonesty because if I am explicitly asked about the USMLE, then I would report it or state that I took it. I guess what I'm asking is if it's explicitly asked that DO students report their USMLE scores.

It won't directly ask for your USMLE scores but rather ask for your Board scores.

Whether you report only some of your Board scores or all of them is going to be an integrity check for you and a decision you will have to make if/when that becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are there multiple spots to enter board scores or is there just the room for one? I was under the impression that there was only room for one but I obviously don't know for sure.

I wouldn't offer information that isn't asked...but if it is asked...you have to be honest.

I wouldn't offer information that isn't asked...but if it is asked...you have to be honest.

The question though is does "what are your board scores" constitute being asked??

In my opinion, yes.

The question though is does "what are your board scores" constitute being asked??

In my opinion, yes.

Depends on the wording. If there is only one space to put your step 1 score you have to assume you would put your REQUIRED board exam.

So does anyone know the specifics of how the application process works for the Military? I'm assuming it's similar regardless of the branch, but I am in the Air Force. I was told but cannot verify that there is only one spot for board scores on our application, and as a DO we fill that in with the COMLEX. I have also been told by a lot of people to take the USMLE because we will be asked about it. I don't know if that means they'll ask us during audition rotations or what, but I'm assuming if they ask, they would want to verify what you tell them one way or the other.