Reputation of Virginia/Maryland schools..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chattkis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm starting to think about where I want to apply in the next couple of months for Md/PhD. I'd like to stay in Virginia or at least the surrounding states. Are there any schools with bad reputations around here? great reputations? let me know what you think... Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

chattkis said:
Hi! I'm starting to think about where I want to apply in the next couple of months for Md/PhD. I'd like to stay in Virginia or at least the surrounding states. Are there any schools with bad reputations around here? great reputations? let me know what you think... Thanks a lot! :)
I don't know much about the Virginia schools but UVA definitely stands out.

In terms of the state of Maryland, Hopkins hands down. The reputation of University of Maryland MD/PhD is highly questionable.

If you're willing to extend your search a little further out - and I would - definitely consider Duke, UNC, and Penn as well. I don't know much about Jefferson's MD/PhD program, but if Philly isn't too far for you - I would look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
The reputation of University of Maryland MD/PhD is highly questionable.
^Why is that?

I would also recommend schools just south of your border -- Duke, UNC, or Wake. Wake has a smaller program that is non-MSTP funded, but they still have plenty of private funding. I was told they will be applying for MSTP funding in a year or two.

AndyMilonakis said:
In terms of the state of Maryland, Hopkins hands down. The reputation of University of Maryland MD/PhD is highly questionable.

What can you tell me about the University of Maryland MD/PhD program? I am seriously considering it....

Calliope said:
What can you tell me about the University of Maryland MD/PhD program? I am seriously considering it....

My guess is that the MD-PhD program itself is of unknown repute since it isn't funded by the NIGMS. I wouldn't let that fact alone deter you from looking into the program. I honestly don't know much about University of Maryland's program, but did come in contact with one of their MD-PhD students at an SFN conference. He seemed bitter because it was his 5th year in the lab and wanted to move on into clinical rotations and graduate. The length of PhD years depends mainly on your thesis committee and PI, so this could be an isolated issue or it might indicate that the MD-PhD administration has little say in advancing students to the next part of the program. I remember that the lab he was in did not have funding for his project the first 2 years he was there. That is something to ask any PI before you join a lab regardless of MSTP status -- will your specific research have financial support?

In the defense of non-MSTP funded MD-PhD programs, I chose a school that does not yet receive funding from NIGMS over other schools I was accepted to that were already MSTP funded. I made that choice because 1) there were several specific PI's that I wanted to work with, 2) the location was ideal for me, 3) the program has plenty of private funding for tuition and stipend, and 4) students are graduating within 7-8 years.

If you're really interested in the University of Maryland, set up time to meet with the MD-PhD program director to ask questions about the future ambitions of the program. That is what helped make my decision.