req. for post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lillace

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently in my senior year of nursing school, and now know that I want to go to med school. (I should have never switched majors :) ). Anyways, my gpa my freshman yr was a 3.5, now it has dropped to about a 2.9. What I am wondering is, what are the admission requirements to get into a post-bacc? It says rolling admissions on most sites, so do they take everyone? or is it selective? Your responses are appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

lillace said:
Hi everyone. I am currently in my senior year of nursing school, and now know that I want to go to med school. (I should have never switched majors :) ). Anyways, my gpa my freshman yr was a 3.5, now it has dropped to about a 2.9. What I am wondering is, what are the admission requirements to get into a post-bacc? It says rolling admissions on most sites, so do they take everyone? or is it selective? Your responses are appreciated :D

I wrote this a couple of months ago, still wondering lol. To be exact, my gpa is a 2.979 :p . I am trying to figure out this whole post-bac thing.

lillace said:
I wrote this a couple of months ago, still wondering lol. To be exact, my gpa is a 2.979 :p . I am trying to figure out this whole post-bac thing.

from what Ive taken from this site and my own research is that if you can shell out the dough, you can usually get into almost any post-bac program, I do say almost, as some are quite selective, and want you to have taken certain courses, along with a 3.0min gpa, etc. Where were you thinking of going to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
ShaKh81 said:
from what Ive taken from this site and my own research is that if you can shell out the dough, you can usually get into almost any post-bac program, I do say almost, as some are quite selective, and want you to have taken certain courses, along with a 3.0min gpa, etc. Where were you thinking of going to school?

Not quite sure yet where I want to go, just checking everything out. I would like to go to the big name schools, but probably won't due to money and min. gpa.

for those who know, would I be able to get into the Harvard post-bacc? Do you have to have certain pre-reqs to go there? I have gone on their website, but there are so many programs that I get confused :confused:

lillace said:
for those who know, would I be able to get into the Harvard post-bacc? Do you have to have certain pre-reqs to go there? I have gone on their website, but there are so many programs that I get confused :confused:

You should be able to go to HES -- it is open enrollment. The program you want is the Harvard Extension School's Health Careers Program. But they may want to talk to you first if they have any concerns about your ability to get into med schools based on your record -- they will still let you in if you want to try, but reportedly will tell you if the odds may be against you. You also need to get high grades and MCAT score of 30 to get a sponsorship letter from them. I disagree with the prior poster who said that you can get into pretty much any postbac program if you have the $. In fact, the more formal ones (eg. Bryn Mawr, Tufts, Goucher) tend to be very selective and reject quite a few of the 3.0 and under crowd. They like to only handle those students who they feel can be most easilly placed into med school, and hence they keep their placement success statistics in the high 90%s.

Law2Doc said:
You should be able to go to HES -- it is open enrollment. The program you want is the Harvard Extension School's Health Careers Program. But they may want to talk to you first if they have any concerns about your ability to get into med schools based on your record -- they will still let you in if you want to try, but reportedly will tell you if the odds may be against you. You also need to get high grades and MCAT score of 30 to get a sponsorship letter from them. I disagree with the prior poster who said that you can get into pretty much any postbac program if you have the $. In fact, the more formal ones (eg. Bryn Mawr, Tufts, Goucher) tend to be very selective and reject quite a few of the 3.0 and under crowd. They like to only handle those students who they feel can be most easilly placed into med school, and hence they keep their placement success statistics in the high 90%s.

yes, I didnt word that quite right, but I meant from the information I got from this website, it is easy to get in some postbac programs, such as your local state univ, HES, etc, while challenging to get in others, such as tufts, penn, etc. Im still very new to this whole concept of postbac myself, and havent decided yet where I want to go. what state are you located in lilace, if you dont mind me asking?

Don't mind you asking at all, I'm in Texas. I went onto the HES website and it said if you have taken any of the science courses listed you are not eligible (unless I read it wrong). I had to take biologies for nursing, but just took chemistries for nursing majors. So I'm thinking my biology courses might make me not eligible for the Harvard program :(. I wonder if it is ok just to take science courses at the local state university while working as a nurse? Would I be considered for med schools doing this, or would I need a nice name like Harvard (I don't want to spend too much money). Oh the dilemma... Lucky for me, when I was pre-med (back when I tried hard in school lol) I made A's in my honor bio classes, so won't need to re-take those.

lillace said:
Don't mind you asking at all, I'm in Texas. I went onto the HES website and it said if you have taken any of the science courses listed you are not eligible (unless I read it wrong). I had to take biologies for nursing, but just took chemistries for nursing majors. So I'm thinking my biology courses might make me not eligible for the Harvard program :(. I wonder if it is ok just to take science courses at the local state university while working as a nurse? Would I be considered for med schools doing this, or would I need a nice name like Harvard (I don't want to spend too much money). Oh the dilemma... Lucky for me, when I was pre-med (back when I tried hard in school lol) I made A's in my honor bio classes, so won't need to re-take those.

In regards to your presumed inelligebility, from what I understood, if you have taken any of the post-bac courses before, such as I have taken Bio1 as a science lab requirement for my business degree, you can't necesarilly be elligible for their certificate, it does not mean you can't take classes there. Again, unless Im mistaken, bottom line, you can't have an official graduation ceremony at the end, and get a certificate, but you can still have the classes on your transcript. Personally, to me that does make me question whether its worth going all the way upto cambridge (I shouldnt talk, you live in TX, its a 1.5 hr drive for me) but regardless, if you make taht much effort, I'd want an actual certificate detailing my accomplishment, dont know if im making any logical sense or if its just my alpha male ego talking, but it does make me think twice about whetehr to consider HES.

ShaKh81 said:
In regards to your presumed inelligebility, from what I understood, if you have taken any of the post-bac courses before, such as I have taken Bio1 as a science lab requirement for my business degree, you can't necesarilly be elligible for their certificate, it does not mean you can't take classes there. Again, unless Im mistaken, bottom line, you can't have an official graduation ceremony at the end, and get a certificate, but you can still have the classes on your transcript. Personally, to me that does make me question whether its worth going all the way upto cambridge (I shouldnt talk, you live in TX, its a 1.5 hr drive for me) but regardless, if you make taht much effort, I'd want an actual certificate detailing my accomplishment, dont know if im making any logical sense or if its just my alpha male ego talking, but it does make me think twice about whetehr to consider HES.
I completely agree with what you're saying. hmmm, I just wonder if taking those classes at a local university would be ok, if I would be looked at by the admission people b/c of poor undergrad gpa :confused: ; maybe I should just call the med schools I'm interested in and ask.

lillace said:
I completely agree with what you're saying. hmmm, I just wonder if taking those classes at a local university would be ok, if I would be looked at by the admission people b/c of poor undergrad gpa :confused: ; maybe I should just call the med schools I'm interested in and ask.

Again, going by what Ive read on here and other sites, in the end what really counts is your GPA, cum yes, but apparently more emphasis on your science GPA, and more importantly your MCAT score.

Actually, I was thinking of doing the same thing, Im going on vacation next week, and going to see is by some chance I can talk to admissions in the med school near my house.