Request for More Specific Information from Private Practice Neonatologists: Starting vs Mid-Career vs Late-Career Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredocdoc1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see there have been a handful of similar posts before, but I am seeking more detailed information. Would love to hear from as many private practice neonatologists as possible. The most comprehensive compensation data I have seen so far is the 2021 MGMA physician compensation report listing median neo salaries of $371,372. This obviously includes a mix of academic and private practice respondents, as well as low-range and high-range reporters.

Private practice neos:

1. What were some examples of starting offers you received coming out of fellowship? (including sign-on bonuses and other major incentives)
  2. Compared to those starting offers, how have you seen compensation increase for mid-career and late-career offers?
As young trainees, I think we often have the false expectation that we will be making mid-career salaries fresh out of training, and often forget that starting salaries differ significantly from mid-career/late-career salaries. Hopefully your responses will help to provide more realistic expectations for those of us coming up the ladder behind you. Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.