Requesting General Advice for PhD Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

October229

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It's that wonderful time again and I'm preparing my PhD applications! I have some very basic questions that I've been getting mixed answers on from my various advisors/professors, so I was hoping to get some more input!

1) Including references on my CV for PhD applications. Some samples show references, some don't. I fear that this might be a bit redundant since my 3 references are also the 3 that are providing me with my strong letters of recommendation, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to also add them to my CV. I don't want it to seem as though I'm adding unnecessary fluff.

2) Where to include thesis on my CV--I've seen some put it in their education section under their institution by simply listing the thesis title and the advisor, and some I've seen dedicate a portion of their "research experience" section to their thesis so they can explain it in slightly more detail. Again, I don't want to look like I'm fluffing up my CV to make it appear longer.

3) Emailing POIs--I've gotten completely mixed responses on this one. Some say it's a good idea, some say it's a complete waste of time and can make me seem pushy. I've emailed some if their website didn't say if they were accepting students for Fall 2016, but I'm not if I should contact those whose websites explicitly say they're accepting students.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I would include the references as well. If they are listed as a reference, it means that they have agreed to be contacted with questions about the applicant should someone on the interviewing end wish to do so. Just make sure you have actually asked them to be a reference and letter writer.

2) I'd keep it under institution with advisor for the time being.

3) Go ahead and e-mail them if they haven't listed the information anywhere on the school's website. If they have listed it on their website, I'm on the side of the fence that says to leave it alone. Academicians get so much e-mail on a daily basis, some would see it as a hassle (not all, but some). I just don't think it does much good, others will disagree.

1. Whether or not you include references is up to you- if you're already getting 3 LOR might be a tad redundant, but I cant see anyone faulting you for having an extra references page. That said, no matter what, keep that references page somewhere- dont lose it like I did.
2.agree with wisnero.
3. Email them. Make contact. Though its true academics get lots of email, most of those emails are annoying (IMO). What's not annoying is someone who has read your research and wants to work with you. That's like crack to an academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others though I will say that I personally like having the letter writer info on the CV. I don't trust letters, I always contact the writers before accepting a student into my lab. Because of this it is handy to have all of their contact info conveniently located in one place.

Asking another question pertaining to general advice: do you folk think it is possible for an undergrad to get into a research-oriented Clinical Ph.D. program without a publication on their CV? I have two studies that will probably be "in prep" or "submitted" by the time I apply, but I'm not sure if I should include either of those because it may look like I'm just trying to pad what I have?

I think it is okay to include them on your CV as in preparation given where you are in your level of training. I don't think it is a death knell if you don't have a publication, especially if you are still an undergraduate. If you have strong letters and strong research experience that will be more important. I think that many of us in admissions realize that many factors affect publications including how much your mentor publishes and how inclusive they are with awarding publication credit on manuscripts. Thus, I don't read too much into a student not having pubs (though it certainly does make you stand out if you have them).

Agree with irish80122 on this one (Hi, Irish!) If you are working on studies that are headed toward publication, putting "in preparation" on your CV is a fine idea.

And lots of people get into grad school (research oriented clinical programs) without publications. Having them is rare, not having them is common. I generally like to see some effort toward research dissemination, but that can be and usually is posters (national is better than regional, regional is better than University, and any are better than none).

Reactions: 1 users