Required Exam before working as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an exam that you are required to take before you can work as a pharmacist after you graduate from pharmacy school?

Also, if you go to school in one state then wish to work in another state, do you have to take an exam to be certified in each state?

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
Is there an exam that you are required to take before you can work as a pharmacist after you graduate from pharmacy school?

Also, if you go to school in one state then wish to work in another state, do you have to take an exam to be certified in each state?

Yea, you have to take the Naplex to be licensed as a pharmacist after you graduate. Generally, what I've seen is the pharmacist will take the Naplex and get licensed in say Texas, then move to Arizona and only have to take the Arizona law test. They would however need to keep their original license paid for and CE done.

I'm excited because in four years I feel like the entire country will be open to me. I was looking at ads in pharmacy week and they even have positions available in alaska.

my dad told me alaska would be a stupid place to go though. lol.

From what i've heard from other pharmacist, the only state that has its own "naplex" type of exam is california, so incase you move to that state you'd have to take their own version of naplex plus their state law

Members don't see this ad :)
fub5623 said:
From what i've heard from other pharmacist, the only state that has its own "naplex" type of exam is california, so incase you move to that state you'd have to take their own version of naplex plus their state law
Actually just recently, California changed its license exam to Naplex. So all states require the Naplex exam now and then you'd have to take the state-specific law exam depending on where you want to work.

RLK said:
Naplex exam is recognized in all states.
If you go to an out-of-state school, you still take the Naplex exam and a law exam for your state.

However, I think some states require you to complete your intern hours at that state before getting your license. Check with your preferred state's Board of Pharmacy, just in case :luck:

a lot of states allow you to transfer intern/extern (here in AL you are an extern if you still attend pharmacy school.. interns are people who have graduated and are waiting to be licensed) hours. depending on the state depends on what you have to do before you can do that

aubieRx said:
I'm excited because in four years I feel like the entire country will be open to me. I was looking at ads in pharmacy week and they even have positions available in alaska.

I grew up in Alaska. It's not that bad :)

aubieRx said:

Thats exactly why Im excited about pharmacy. No need to be tied down to a region of the country, or a large city. Freeee.........

Alaska looks pretty, but after living in Michigan for 25 years Im sick of snow. I need some HEAT! Can American pharmacists work in Puerto Rico???

DownonthePharm said:
Thats exactly why Im excited about pharmacy. No need to be tied down to a region of the country, or a large city. Freeee.........

Alaska looks pretty, but after living in Michigan for 25 years Im sick of snow. I need some HEAT! Can American pharmacists work in Puerto Rico???
i know an american pharmacist who works in the bahamas