USMLE Requirement for taking step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow medical professionals,
I am interested in taking the USMLE step 3 exam but I did not apply for a residency (due to personal/medical issues I was suffering for the past year). I have graduated with an MD (conferred in 2014) and wanted to take the USMLE step 3 since I recently studied for and passed the step 2 CK and the material is fresh. Is it possible to apply for and take the step 3 even though I am currently not enrolled in a residency (but plan to apply for and match next year). If this is possible please advise what states I could take the step 3 in? Thanks for your time and best wishes.

R

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have graduated, you can take Step 3 in any state that doesn't require residency. Florida is usually the go-to state for registering for Step 3 prior to residency. There are other states that allow this (Connecticut for example), but I've heard that Florida processes the paper work the fastest. Regardless of where you register for the exam, you can sit for the exam in any state once you're approved. So register for Florida, then take the exam in your home state.

there are new changes on the rules of writing step 3. Go to website and read. Looks like to register u dont even have to apply through any state medical board

My mistake. I didn't mean to imply you could take it in any state after registering. I meant you didn't need to take it in the state you were registering through (ie. just because you register for Florida doesn't mean you have to take it in Florida).