Requirements for ECFMG Certification - WFME Recognition Programme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osielsko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year med student at Gdansk Medicak University graduating in 2022 (6 year program 2016-2022)

I am a bit worried about the information given in ECFMG Information Booklet 2018:

"Beginning in 2023, to be eligible for ECFMG Certification, ECFMG will require that applicants graduate from a medical school that has been appropriately accredited. To satisfy this requirement, medical schools must be accredited by an agency that has been recognized by the World Federation for Medical Education through its Programme for Recognition of Accrediting Agencies"

Currently, my school is certified by ECFMG till 2020. However, it is not recognised by WFME Recognition Programme.

Moreover:
"International medical graduates must have been awarded credit for at least four credit years
(academic years for which credit has been given toward completion of the medical curriculum) by a medical school that is listed in the World Directory as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements."

So here is my guestion:
Would I be eligible to take part in 2024 Match if my school was't still recognized by WFME Recognition Programme.

Or my university authorities need to figure out how to be accredited before 2019/2020 academic year so that I will be awarded 4 credit years in a uni recognized by WFME?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks complicated, but I don't think there's a problem. The WFME isn't actually accrediting anyone. They simply certify the group in Poland that is responsible for accrediting medical schools there. As long as the school is accredited by the Polish authorities, it will be listed in WFME.

Whether you'll get a spot in the US coming from a relatively unknown school in 2024 is anyone's guess.

Reactions: 1 user
This is correct.

There is a lot of confusion surrounding the ECFMG's rule change. Essentially, it's not that earth shattering. They are simply concerned that people in the U.S. receiving care from physicians, of whom roughly 25% are foreign trained, are getting the best care from people who have received training from a legitimate and bona fide medical education program. So, they want all physicians to receive an education that is equivalent to what you would receive in the U.S. Regardless, this is only an admission requirement to getting into residency where, in reality, this becomes the place where physicians learn their craft.

ECFMG | Initiatives Accreditation Requirement

What the ECFMG doesn't want is some diploma mill listed as a P.O. box in some Borat-like country issuing medical diplomas to people for a fee. That hurts everyone. Chances are if the school is listed by the WFME, then you're good.

Gdansk currently is:

School Detail

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user