Rescheduling an interview last minute due to illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at my top choice school on Friday. But I've been feeling kind of iffy today, with nausea that was really bad this morning, went away in the afternoon, and now seems to be making a return. I'm also running a fever of over 100 degrees. I didn't think it was a big deal, but just now my suite mate told me she's had a stomach bug for the last 3 days. Great.

So I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what, but I feel like I am inevitably going to get the same stomach bug, and probably sooner rather than later given the fever and nausea. I absolutely cannot function when I'm nauseated and vomiting, so there is no way I could make it through an interview.

Are most schools receptive to last minute cancellations due to illness? Would asking for a reschedule less than 24 hours before the interview, or even the morning of, look really bad? And if they did reschedule me, would it likely be for a really late interview in like December?

Seriously can't believe this is happening right now, I'm so mad. I'm praying that I'm just being a hypochondriac and I'm not really sick...or at the very least, that the sickness can wait until Saturday to really hit me.

Members don't see this ad.

They're usually very understanding, I haven't heard of anyone being impacted negatively in this regard.

I say definitely reschedule if you have a fever. Hope you feel better!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, haven't started puking yet and the fever has gone down so maybe it'll be fine!!

I hope you feel better soon! Like, today soon! I caught a cold this week and am wishing it away before an interview next week... some of my schools have a number on the supplemental website to call in case of last-minute emergencies like illness, so I'd agree they're probably understanding :)

I hope you feel better soon! Like, today soon! I caught a cold this week and am wishing it away before an interview next week... some of my schools have a number on the supplemental website to call in case of last-minute emergencies like illness, so I'd agree they're probably understanding :)

I hope you feel better soon, too!

This is kind of torture lol, I don't know if I'm nauseated because of nerves about the exam, or because I'm actually about to puke. Maybe I will bring a barf bag to the exam.

They need more than 24 hour notice usually. They should explicitly say in the email.
Rescheduling may or may not be possible. After all, that would be wasting one interview slot for your sake.

Whatever it is, call immediately. And worse case scenario, bring barf bag with cough mask.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to get a prescription for zofran and/or phenergan for the nausea!

Well I haven't puked yet and I'm on my way to the interview now!

Reactions: 7 users
I had the worst cold of my life ever and quite literally lost my voice (not entirely) and they thought I was a badass (I know because they told me me accepted me). I let them know so they wouldn't think too bad of me, but I was secretly hoping it would work in my favor. (Which it did)

Good luck!

GUYS I DIDN'T PUKE! I came awfully close during the first presentation of the day, I was literally sitting there planning my escape from the room and I came very close to getting up to run to the bathroom. But it kind of passed after that. And I felt fine during both of my interviews. All in all, I'd say the day went pretty well!

Reactions: 5 users
GUYS I DIDN'T PUKE! I came awfully close during the first presentation of the day, I was literally sitting there planning my escape from the room and I came very close to getting up to run to the bathroom. But it kind of passed after that. And I felt fine during both of my interviews. All in all, I'd say the day went pretty well!
I'M SO HAPPY YOU SURVIVED. BIG HUGS. @_@

Reactions: 1 user