Rescheduling March MCAT for April?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted867660

So some things came up and I am realizing it would be better for me and my mental health to reschedule my March 13 MCAT for April 26. I understand that registration for April will not open until February. If I use the reschedule function in my AAMC portal it only allows me to schedule in March or earlier. Can I cancel my appointment now and just register like normal in February when registration opens up? Or will that be a black mark on my record? I don't see why it would be but I just wanted to know. I know that rescheduling to April will give me much greater peace of mind and will allow me to perform better. I know it's early so I want to get this done now before I get caught up with schoolwork and penalty late fees.
Should I call AAMC about this? Has anyone else done something similar? I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call and ask. I do not understand the March deadline. The MCAT is important and takes 300-500 hours of solid prep time. Unless you are planning to take it more than once, I'd not rush it. I took mine in late June and got the results in time. What I regret not getting the jump on are all the essays you have to write. Start sooner on your Personal Statement and primary application and writing drafts for your secondary applications ahead of time, cause that is just as much work as studying for the MCAT. Most secondaries boil down to 10-12 primary questions so writing an essay for each of the 10-12 standard secondaries as well as working on the Personal Statement and the Primary Application earlier will get you ahead of the curve, and give you more time to study the MCAT. I scored a 521 and only took the MCAT once, and I did it all without any MCAT classes using the Berkeley review books augmented with a couple others in specific areas (behavioral science and CARS). I also took 11 full length MCAT practice tests. As you take each practice test, find out your weaknesses, both based on the subject area (physics, chemistry, biochemistry, etc.) as well as what TYPE of questions you are missing and why you are missing them (calculation errors, not knowing the content, or what have you), then tweaking your studying to go after your weak areas while still working on your strong areas some too. But spend time where you can get the highest yield per hour of study time. Test yourself under the same conditions as the real MCAT too, even down to the precise timing and using the same materials. Buy the AAMC full kit and save those tests for last, then buy 3rd party tests and take those early for your first 6 or so practice tests. Save the AAMC sample text for last, because it is unscored so you won't get upset the week before the actual MCAT if it isn't your best score, and you get the additional drill of a practice test without having the score cause you last minute panic.

Last edited:
So some things came up and I am realizing it would be better for me and my mental health to reschedule my March 13 MCAT for April 26. I understand that registration for April will not open until February. If I use the reschedule function in my AAMC portal it only allows me to schedule in March or earlier. Can I cancel my appointment now and just register like normal in February when registration opens up? Or will that be a black mark on my record? I don't see why it would be but I just wanted to know. I know that rescheduling to April will give me much greater peace of mind and will allow me to perform better. I know it's early so I want to get this done now before I get caught up with schoolwork and penalty late fees.
Should I call AAMC about this? Has anyone else done something similar? I appreciate any help!
You can totally chill. You are fine, and there is no need to call. Due to the pandemic, AAMC has waived all late registration and cancellation fees. Therefore, you can either cancel and schedule later, OR wait for April registration to open and reschedule then. If you are not going to sit in March regardless, no reason not to release the spot now so someone else can have it. And no, there is never a "black mark" associated with canceling, unless you just no show for the exam. That's a black mark, insofar as it counts as one of your lifetime attempts, but schools never see anything except scores after you take a test and don't void it.

Reactions: 1 user
You can totally chill. You are fine, and there is no need to call. Due to the pandemic, AAMC has waived all late registration and cancellation fees. Therefore, you can either cancel and schedule later, OR wait for April registration to open and reschedule then. If you are not going to sit in March regardless, no reason not to release the spot now so someone else can have it. And no, there is never a "black mark" associated with canceling, unless you just no show for the exam. That's a black mark, insofar as it counts as one of your lifetime attempts, but schools never see anything except scores after you take a test and don't void it.
Why do you always provide such kind, thoughtful, and thorough advice on my posts? Thanks so much for answering my questions - you are awesome, kep being amazing!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Why do you always provide such kind, thoughtful, and thorough advice on my posts? Thanks so much for answering my questions - you are awesome, kep being amazing!
He's a a great person, like the vast majority of people on this forum. Remember when its your turn, to help those behind you in kind.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users