Research at first-choice med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenghisKant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Evening team,

I sent a few feelers out for research opportunities and my first choice med school's neurology Professor has offered to meet with me to discuss. If I gained research experience at the med school that I plan on attending can only be a nod in the right direction, I assume.

Is there any downside to this? I can't think of any. But I'm a little giddy and don't especially want to miss a glaring potential hazard?

Cheers,

GK

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be a hazard?? Overly worried. A strong letter from a faculty or physician there will be nice, but will only marginally help - in no ways a guarantee.

Reactions: 1 user
It can't hurt. Though by the time you apply and interview, that school may not be your first choice. But, no, getting research experience can't really hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Evening team,

I sent a few feelers out for research opportunities and my first choice med school's neurology Professor has offered to meet with me to discuss. If I gained research experience at the med school that I plan on attending can only be a nod in the right direction, I assume.

Is there any downside to this? I can't think of any. But I'm a little giddy and don't especially want to miss a glaring potential hazard?

Cheers,

GK

I did research at my top choice and got in. I do think it helped and I do not think there is a single downside to this.

Why would it be a hazard?? Overly worried. A strong letter from a faculty or physician there will be nice, but will only marginally help - in no ways a guarantee.
Developing a professional relationship with mentioned researcher and wanting to continue any specific/related research should be especially helpful. I'd say go for it!

Upside could be large if the PI is willing to make a call on your behalf. Might have to give across the implication that you would plan on continuing with their research in med school though, which may not be a bad thing anyways. More than likely you will get a strong letter that will be good for any school.

I also did research at one of my top choices (well, actually I didn't think I really had a shot at this school until I got an II) and got accepted. I got an LOR too. BUT, I can't definitely say if it was the factor that got me in--but doing research there gave me the opportunity to fall in love with the school (that being said, don't go gaga until you apply and actually receive an II, or else you risk being disappointed). Another student also did research with me at the same med school, but didn't get accepted or an II. So while it might help a TEENSY bit (I would put it about the same as attending an Ivy undergrad or something), it won't be significant.

The only way it could possibly hurt you is if you act unprofessional during this research experience. I can't imagine this will happen, so go for it.